R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefilling Propane on the road?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refilling Propane on the road?
    Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Retroactive

Do they sell 30 lb tanks at any general retail and hardware stores like Wal-Mart to Lowe's etc, or is this an RV specialty?

My local hardware store has them, I see them everywhere.  Definitely an easier upgrade for the pods than going with two tanks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

The fridge runs on propane? MIND BLOWN... as an engineer now I am compelled to go look at how that works...  I just assumed the fridge worked on TEC unit like a lot of the wine chillers people have now.

There's a little flame down there that keeps everything cold.  Actually, absorption refrigeration works like other refrigeration.  It relies on phase change, evaporation.  As the coolant evaporates, it absorbs heat.  Instead of a compressor, the system uses heat to compress the coolant by boiling it.  The coolant then travels though a capillary tube to the evaporator where it experiences lower pressure and it evaporates and absorbs heat from the fridge.  Years ago, such refrigeration was the rule.  Edison told his research engineers not to mess with compressor refrigeration because absorption units had no moving parts and were therefore much more reliable and long lasting.  I have a water jug made from black clay.  You fill it with water and get the outside wet and set it in the sun to have cool water.  Such jugs are sold all over Mexico.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:09am
That is actually a good option too. For the short term, most of our trips will be to my inlaw's cottage on the ocean. I could leave my stock 20 lb in their shed, filled and ready, and when the 30 lb runs out I can switch tanks until I can get it re-filled. I would probably run the 20 lb no more than 24 hours before it went back in the shed, I would be within a 15 minute drive of several places to refill the 30 lb. Do they sell 30 lb tanks at any general retail and hardware stores like Wal-Mart to Lowe's etc, or is this an RV specialty?
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:51am
You can get a 30-Pound Propane Cylinder and it will fit in the existing space you have now. 20 lb. cylinder 4.7 gallons, 17.5” high x 12.2” diameter, 30 lb. cylinder 7 gallons 23.5” high x 12.2” diameter, so you only get 2.4 gallons more with dual 20 lbs. cylinders. I have an extra 20 lb. cylinder I can carry in the truck if I need more, that way I keep the tongue weight down.

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-30-Pound-Cylinder-Overflow-Prevention/dp/B00JABY3AI

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/refillable-steel-propane-cylinders-30-lb-7-1-gal-/56056
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:29am
Well, it's already time for me to upgrade to double tanks. I was using the heat while doing various projects over the last few weeks, and I managed to burn through and entire tank because we had a freak cold snap for several days. So I am looking for any recommendations on aftermarket dual tank racks, most of the ones I see all use the same basic design.  I see a few on Amazon and this seems to get good reviews, one of them is from a podder with a 178.

J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:24pm
I go to to ace hardware for refills ( most small towns have one ) and home depot for exchange. I am retired military & both give 10% discount. At home depot you usually get a newer tank. Tanks can be refilled for 12 years & then must be replaced or recertified. It is cheaper to exchange from my experience. Here in Florida you pay sales tax on any propane tanks over 20 lbs. so it is cheaper to operate 2 20 lbs than one 30. I always carry the extra 20 in the back of p-up. We use it to cook & light propane stove, grill and lantern at the camp table weather permitting.that way I have a backup tank,stove & light for camping. We do alot of dry camping. I also have a Honda 2000 generator. When dry camping I run generator about 2 hrs every other day to keep my one battery up. I could probably push it to push it another day but haven't so far. We also take an extra cooler that we use blue ice to keep cool by using the fridge freezer & exchange everyday. You have to use smaller blue ice so they refreeze overnight. We have 8 different ones (4 in freezer & 4 in cooler). It works for us.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 7:57pm
techntrek is right about auxiliary coolers.  Compressor type units are more expensive, but they are more reliable, longer lasting and use a lot less power.  Another brand on the market is Engels.  We have a unit that we use as a freezer.  It only draws 2.5 amps when running (runs on 120 AC or 12V DC).  It's a shame that the reefer on the pod is not a similar kind of unit.  However, the option of using gas is really important
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:58pm
Good to know!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:42pm
A note about refilling propane around the US.  We found out the hard way that only 90% of the propane suppliers use the sulphur-smelling Mercaptan additive.  The other 10% use other chemicals which can have other smells.

If you need extra room for food don't buy a thermo-electric cooler.  They slurp down amps and never cycle off.  Look into the efficient compressor-based coolers, one manufacturer is ARB.  Some discussion on them on this thread starting with this post:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5039
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 5:26pm
We made our vent covers using regular screen mesh. We cut them to the approximate size and used a hot glue gun to attach the screen to the plastic covers. They have been there for 4 years and not loosened.
I think there are pictures of them on our mod page

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>