R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDVD player has no color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DVD player has no color
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:00pm
If the plugs on the back of the unit wiggle a bit when you plug them in, see if you can tighten them up a bit before plugging them in. Sometimes that can be done by squeezing the little tabs on the RCA connector if it has them. That should give more friction so they stay plugged in better.

I showed how I connected sound from the television to the back of the stereo unit so that sound is played through the R-Pod speakers. It is one of the mods I have made. The link in my signature will get you there.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Sweetie and my R Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 10:26pm
Our DVD was in BW as well, After taking it apart, I found my connections behind the dvd/stereo unit were slightly disconnected. I took the 4 front screws out and slid the unit out and made a good connection again and that seem to work. Although after we took the unit out (A 2016 179), the picture was BW AGAIN I am assuming the came loose again??? I have to take it apart again and check it out.  
LManiac7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:33am
UPDATE:

Problem solved. The yellow RCA cable on the back was in the wrong location. I switched it and now.....color!

Have a great day!
LManiac7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 1:35am
I'm watching a movie now and it is in black and white, too.  I switched the source to "AV", but I get no picture when I do that.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:37pm
If there is an AUX 2, then there must be an AUX 1 in back. Big smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 6:45pm
Thanks PAsteve.  I think I already have a cable that will do the job in my box of junk. Too bad FR didn't wire the two together from the factory.  The sound quality of the TV is awful!
2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
PAsteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:28pm
Buy a stereo mini jack (like headphone size) cable. The Jensen TV has a headphone jack along the bottom where all the connections are made. Connect the TV headphone output to the front of your radio/CD/DVD. The input is labeled AUX. Set the radio source to AUX 2 (just push the button twice). TV volume and radio volume controls both need to be adjusted. It works great, and is even loud enough to be heard above the air conditioner (grrrr).
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:13am
Originally posted by JHoffman

Thanks Podster.  I figured it out eventually. I'm disappointed that the TV isn't able to play through the speakers except when watching a movie.  Am I missing something?  

The DVD player is sending the AV signal to your TV via the three colored wired coming out of the wall behind your TV. In order to hear your OTA TV audio through the stereo speakers, it would have to send the signal out to the DVD player - which would power the speakers. As Stephen mentioned there may be a workaround: if the TV has a headphone 3.5mm jack, and your DVD has a 3.5mm input jack on the front, you can probably get a 6' 3.5mm Male/Male cable to run between them (and get some tiny command hooks to put on the ceiling). My TV and DVD have the jacks, so I will probably try it this weekend. I am a bit of a home theater nut, so if I can fish a line through the existing wire runs behind the walls, I will eventually get a long cable and see if there is an Aux-In somewhere in the back of the DVD player.

EDIT: my 2016 171 Jensen AWM968 does have an L/R Aux-In RCA jacks on the back of the unit. A workaround for "easy" hidden wiring would be to get a long 3.5mm cord, run it behind the walls along the existing wiring, and then use a 3.5mm to RCA L/R adapter behind the DVD. Running the single 3.5mm line through the walls is going to be much easier than running a dual RCA line.  
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:29pm
Unfortunately, there is currently no output from the television tuner to feed audio information back to the stereo to play through the speakers. It would be easiest if the TV and stereo were connected via HDMI. If there is a headphone outlet on the TV, it could possibly be connected to an auxiliary connector on the stereo. However, one would need to pull the stereo out and see what connections are available. I may get around to that one of these days.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:43pm
Thanks Podster.  I figured it out eventually. I'm disappointed that the TV isn't able to play through the speakers except when watching a movie.  Am I missing something?  

2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>