R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Musical Instrument storage in R-Pod (ours is 179))
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusical Instrument storage in R-Pod (ours is 179))

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Twix View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Musical Instrument storage in R-Pod (ours is 179))
    Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 6:59am
Thanks for the insight, podderf!  I like your approach to the acclimatization of the Pod!  Chuck (my violin) has been around for quite a while and hanging with me for over 30 years.  He's a sturdy beast.  And you are quite right in the resiliency of a well-made, well-cared-for instrument.  He will be the traveller, as he is far less expensive and personal than my hand-made for me viola (replacing that would be impossible - emotionally).  I have actually considered picking up a beater violin for taking on the road, but Chuck deserves some fun in his golden years too!

I'm a classically trained violinist/violist, so just whipping out the 'fiddle' (and I still shudder at that term LOL) and playing a few tunes off the top of my head, is virtually impossible (I am so envious of my Celtic group cohorts with that skill).  I, sadly, need sheet music for almost ANYTHING.  So, until I get better at playing more folksy and/or well-known tunes from memory, I'm not sure how many people I'll draw to play along with me.  (By the way, one of my retirement goals is to become more brave by just PLAYING publically and to work hard to commit pieces to memory rather than requiring music.  It would make it much easier to jam.  BUT, I'm a long, LONG way from being able to just sit in with a group.  Someday ... maybe ... SOMEDAY).

Maybe we'll be lucky enough to cross paths and you could teach me a tune or two (retirement in 3-5 years!).

Mary
Ken & Mary
2016 R-Pod 179 aka the "K-Pod"
2011 Chev Equinox
+ Snickers (a cat who thinks she's a dog)
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:42pm
My wife and I play dulcimers and autoharp.  We always carry them in cases and in the tow vehicle.  After setting up pod, and getting temp where we want it, we transfer instruments to pod.  Yes, there will be some temperature difference, but at long as the difference is not drastic, I don''t think you will have a problem.  We always sit out on the picnic table or in chairs to play our instruments and sometimes the temp outside may be somewhat cooler or warmer that inside the pod.  We just take our tuner and each time we play, we just retune.  Our instruments are good instruments, but,, we did not break the bank when we bought them.  If our instruments were real expensive, we would probably leave them at home.  But if you enjoy music as we do, then what's the point of just leaving your instrument at home.  Also, we play at different venues for people and our instruments are already exposed to quite a bit of temperature changes.  Been playing the same instruments for years and they play just as good now as when they were new.  Just have to retune when needed.  Most instruments are more resilient than you think.
Take them and enjoy your music.  Plus, you will be surprised at what a crowd you will draw to listen, and, some will bring instruments to play along with you.
Twix View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:09pm
Thank you Retroactive & fwunder (and trust me - my violin ain't a Strad or Guarnerius like Mr. Perlman's! lol)  I had thought it could travel in the Pod - I haven't done a travel trailer!  My husband (who likely will chuckle at my thought of having it travel in the Pod) will probably create a 'home' for it while we are stationary. 

SO, then, next question ... I have always been concerned about leaving my instruments in vehicles when you just zip in somewhere for groceries let alone a hike.  I'd be more tempted to tuck it in the Pod on a hike, but with just the regular lock on the Pod, would it be better to leave the violin covered discreetly in the locked vehicle?  I get that if people want in, they are getting in. : (

Until I get comfortable with the security of our belongings in both the vehicle and trailer, Wolfgang the Viola will be staying at home; Chuck the Violin will be permitted to come on tour.

Mary

Ken & Mary
2011 Chev Equinox
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:40pm
The pod will bounce a lot during towing. The temp and humidity changes are large in the pod, it is not airtight like a house. I would keep the violin in your vehicle while towing. When you are keeping it in the pod, you might want to keep the HVAC running enough to keep the wood stable (or put desiccant packs inside the violin case).
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:19pm
My wife (Lucy) can cook dinner in the Pod while traveling, so I don't see a problem with your instruments! Wink

But, seriously, why not just carry them in your TV (tow vehicle, not television). Much smoother up there. I wouldn't recommend leaving the TV (television) on it's mount while traveling, much less Itzahk's instrument.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Twix View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:51pm
SO - as a string player (violin & viola), I'd like to be able to take my instrument(s) on some of our tours. My babies don't respond well to large temperature changes, direct heat, extreme humidity changes, nor bumping and jarring.  We thought that perhaps we would somehow rig up a way to secure the violin (at least) in the area where a TV normally is (we don't have a TV). 

Has anyone had any experience traveling with such "machines"??

Mary (and Ken too - since he will have to do the 'rigging')

Ken & Mary
2011 Chev Equinox
 Post Reply Post Reply