Topic ClosedNew members - Event Date: 15 May 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr.becky View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New members
    Posted: 19 May 2016 at 1:09pm
We purchased a "used" 2016 179 a month ago.  Person used it once due to a divorce had to sell, we kinda felt bad but not too bad.  However, even though it was only a month old the warranty did not transfer, bad on FR.  I looked at extended warranties and decided not to because we can fix most everything our selves and what we can has it own warranties such as the fridge and AC.  Done 4 trips so far, another this boondock trip this weekend to Utah's west desert.  

The Pod is our fourth trailer.  So we knew what we wanted in a trailer.  The first one we purchased in 1993 after having a child and trying to tent camp in Alaska. Made it so we could do much more camping.  It had bunks in the back and table in the front folded down to a bed.  After a couple of years we realized we wanted a bed we did not have to make every night and a table with easy access.  So we then bought a 26 foot bumper hitch bunkhouse with a slide.  Worked great with three small kids.  We did learn about watching tow weights after destroying clutches.  Last night I was reading a journal form our trips, I laughed at my documentation of water leaks and issues, goes with RV ownership.  Best to figure out how to fix things yourselfWink.
When we moved to Utah we sold the trailer and bought a huge 5th wheel with two slides and a V10 truck.  Very comfortable when parked, but hard to park in most state campgrounds.  We found that we did not need as big of trailer in Utah because we spend much more time outside, no need to spend all day in the trailer baking cookies while it poured rain outside. Also, the 5 miles per gallon was ridiculous.   When bought a family cabin we sold the trailer in the early 2000's.  So now the cabin is gone and the kids are grown, last one is 18 and will prefer to sleep in a tent rather then in the trailer with us.  

We looked at Casita's, Skamps and R-Pods, even though the Pod's are heavier the space is great and the deal was right.  We chose the 179 because we like to cook the kitchen setup is great for both of us to cook together.  The pantry space and storage are important to me as I do not like clutter, so everything can be put away out of sight.  We are not big people so the bathroom works for us.  I like that it is easy to clean, wipe down with a microfiber cloth after showering is all the cleaning it has needed so far.  The fixed bed is great and the dinette is comfortable for chatting while cooking or watching tv.  We do have a pouf foot stool under the table that is great.  I would like to figure out a different leg system for the table, as it is a toe stubber and shin biter. Also it is great having the narrower trailer and not having to use tow mirrors, but with the slide you get the interior space.  We have made several additions thinks to suggestion from this site.  The only thing I think FR should add is a 12 volt outlet, but we do like to get away from the crowds and dry camp mostly.   

We love our little trailer, it is so cute.  While we live in place that more people come to vacation at then live here it is a great escape from reality.  It has been good for my husband and I so far.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Andi Bug

Purchased our Rpod 180 yesterday and hopefully will have it home on Monday. I grew up camping, and we had tents and a pop up years ago after we were first married. I haven't been camping in a long time and am so excited to get out in our Rpod.

Congratulations and welcome to the group!
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:11am
Congratulations.  We have the same model.  Got it a couple weeks ago.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Andi Bug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:58am
Purchased our Rpod 180 yesterday and hopefully will have it home on Monday. I grew up camping, and we had tents and a pop up years ago after we were first married. I haven't been camping in a long time and am so excited to get out in our Rpod.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 8:27pm
Nice unit, good pick.  Welcome to this forum where you will meet some of the smartest campers in the world.  We special ordered our 177 w/o microwave, A/C, or entertainment system, we like being outdoor when we camp, often will cook over a charcoal fire, nature often will entertain us as we hike out in God's creation and since the bulk of our camping is done in the cooler months we didn't think A/C was necessary.  Also boondock a lot in national parks or forest campgrounds where electricity is not available.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 7:06am
Congratulations and welcome to the group!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:52pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 178! we use our microwave fairly regularly!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Twopeasinapod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:19pm
Purchased today a 2014-178 from owner who never had it on road and used very seldom! Mint shape but bugs probably not even worked out! Everything works but no Microwave. WAAAAAAAAA! Do y'all used the one from Forest River? I am thinking of buying small inexpensive one to heat things up----not cook.
 Post Reply Post Reply