R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMudflap to Protect 171 HRE Dump valves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Craneman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mudflap to Protect 171 HRE Dump valves
    Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 12:20pm
This is what I did went to bi mart and bought  a set of stiff mud flaps and cut to fit. No mud flat sail
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by timpamt

Very nice! Driving home one rainy night recently I was astounded how much road-spray I was creating. I will definitely be adding this to my wish list for future mods. Your pictures and descriptions are top-notch - exactly the kind of thing that keeps me trolling this forum! Thank you!
Thanks. I had hoped some would find my experience useful. I was amazed at how water is flung almost straight up from the rear of the tires. The mudflaps should reduce the amount that sort of spray. I'm also hope that there will be less road spray flung up on the hatches for the rear storage area. It can't be good for these to be doused with water.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
timpamt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 11:22pm
Very nice! Driving home one rainy night recently I was astounded how much road-spray I was creating. I will definitely be adding this to my wish list for future mods. Your pictures and descriptions are top-notch - exactly the kind of thing that keeps me trolling this forum! Thank you!
Tim and Pam
2017 R-Pod 179 - "Little Bear"
2014 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 2:43am
I have just completed installing mudflaps and wanted to share how that went. 

I've noticed when towing in heavy rain there is a "rooster tail" of water spraying upwards from the tires which adds to what following cars encounter. There could be rocks and other debris flung in the direction of following traffic. Also I have been concerned that such debris might damage the black and grey water dump valves situated just behind the left wheel of the Rpod. To deal with such things I have installed some mudflaps.

The material used was salvaged from a truck mudflap I found laying along the highway. This mudflap is a thick rubberize material reinforced with heavy strands of nylon. I was able to use a heavy duty metal shears to cut two 11 X 12 inch sections for use as Rpod mudflaps. These were secured to the rear of the fenders using an aluminum strap and some stainless steel capscrews, washers and nuts. The following photo shows the right side mudflap.

The left side mudflap was attached similarly with attention given to making it short enough not to hit the blackwater dump valve. This is shown in the next two photos.

Above we see how the mudflap is short enough to miss the black water dump valve. It should reduce the chance of something flung from the tire striking the dump valves.

Above we can see the completed left side mudflap. 

One thing I suggest with using stainless steel fasteners is to always use an anti-seize compound on the threads. If this is not done there can be galling and thread seizure or stripping. Stainless steel hardware is just too expensive to risk it being ruined in this way. 

I've learned, at least in my maritime climate, that galvanized fasteners will soon rust and become unusable. While stainless steel is costly, it is cheaper in the long run. Also it works well in contact with aluminum, not being subject to galvanic corrosion. This could be a problem in areas where salt is used to deal with road ice. Stainless is the way to go.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:44pm
Hi Rpoders,
My wife and I have just taken possession of a 2016 Rpod 171 Hood River Edition. We are enjoying getting to know it and how all the appliances work. And we're looking forward to using it for camping this summer.

One thing I noticed that will require a modification or addition concerns the driver-side fender. Located right behind the wheel and fender are the valves for black and gray water dump. With the somewhat knobby tires supplied with the HRE, I'm concerned about gravel being picked up by the tires, which could be flung off when underway, striking and damaging these valves. So at least on the driver's side I'll be adding a heavy duty mudflap to ward off any such missiles.

Question Have any of you had that problem or have installed mudflaps?
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply