R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater heater question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water heater question
    Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 4:55pm
If they de-winterized it, the WH should be full.
Hunter74 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 4:17pm
I had a steady flow with no spitting, so what are the chances the HW heater came full from the dealership when they de-winterized it for me before I took possession.  Cause there was no spitting, or air noises or anything.  I turned on the tap, water came out.  Keep my fingers crossed that everything is OK.

When I picked up the trailer, they did say that you already to go camping if you wanted to leave now. SO maybe they did fill the tanks.   And when we finally did take it camping a few weeks later, I though that the water tank filled up pretty quick.  Like about 2 or 3 minutes quick.

So I guess from now on I will fill the FW Tank.  Then hook to the city water inlet and fill my HW Tank.  Then that will make sure everything is full.

Thanks for the help.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 4:10pm
Turn on the hot water tap.  When you get a steady flow with no air, the tank is full.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 4:09pm
Some water will come out pretty quick, but there will be some spitting and carrying on until the WH is completely full. No big deal. If you want, you can open the pressure relief valve to vent some air quickly, but again, no big deal. The air will exit the system through the hot water lines when the taps are open/used.

I prefer the term.. Mistaken. A lie suggests malice and forethought.. Thankfully, that is pretty rare.
Hunter74 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 4:02pm
Then will just turning on the pump fill the hot water tank, or will I have to open the tap until water comes out, even though water was coming out, then how do know for sure the water heater is full?
       I know the valves are in the proper position parallel to the blue and red hose, perpendicular to the small center hose.  (Seems that everything the walkthrough person told us is a lie) 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Hunter74

I have a 2016 183G and the person that did our walk through said that the hot water tank fills up when you are filling up the fresh water tank.  So you are saying they lied to me? ( I am so confused with this)  I have only used the R-Pod once and when I filled up the fresh tank I turned on the taps and the water came out of both the cold and hot water taps.   I turned on the hot water heater and the water started getting hot, so hopefully it was full, I hope I didnt screw up my heater on the first trip out.

Also for draining the hot water tank pulling the plug on the fresh water tank as well as the two (one blue hose, one red hose) that say lower level drain, does not drain the hot water tank?

Water will flow through the WH anytime the HW tap is opened.. as long as the bypass valves are in the "use" position, and not bypass position. Filling the FW holding tank only fills that tank, nothing more. If you "made hot water", all is fine.

On some pods, the low point drains will empty the WH, but not on all. It's best to pull the anode for draining to be sure.
Hunter74 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 2:59pm
      I have a 2016 183G and the person that did our walk through said that the hot water tank fills up when you are filling up the fresh water tank.  So you are saying they lied to me? ( I am so confused with this)  I have only used the R-Pod once and when I filled up the fresh tank I turned on the taps and the water came out of both the cold and hot water taps.   I turned on the hot water heater and the water started getting hot, so hopefully it was full, I hope I didnt screw up my heater on the first trip out.

Also for draining the hot water tank pulling the plug on the fresh water tank as well as the two (one blue hose, one red hose) that say lower level drain, does not drain the hot water tank?

Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Leo B

When you hook up to city water at a campground, your water heater tank will fill. It will automatically keep filling itself while hooked up. When you disconnect and leave that campsite, your water heater will still be full. Unless you release the pressure valve and empty it.

Thanks!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:41pm
When you hook up to city water at a campground, your water heater tank will fill. It will automatically keep filling itself while hooked up. When you disconnect and leave that campsite, your water heater will still be full. Unless you release the pressure valve and empty it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:02pm
I'm getting ready for my first trip in my Rpod.  I'm nervous about how much I don't know but have been reading and watching videos.  So stupid question, I know your not supposed to turn the water heater on until it is full.  If you connect a water connection to the pod and turn on a faucet, will the water heater automatically fill?  I'm planning on using electric water heating.  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply