R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRenogy Solar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renogy Solar
    Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:33pm
All true.  If you think you may move to a larger system in the future that could be an argument for investing in MPPT up-front.  Also if you tend to camp in partial shade (not full shade) it can help a bit.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I agree on going with MPPT vs. PWM.

There's no doubt that MPPT controllers are superior to PWM controllers.

That being said, the cost differential between the two is substantial, and you'll have to be using your solar panels quite a lot in order to see a substantial practical difference between the two.

I believe that for no more than 100 watts of solar panels that a PWM controller is the best overall value for the money.  For anything larger than that, it's probably worthwhile to get an MPPT controller.  I just don't see many people having more than 100 watts of solar panels with a rig as small as an Rpod.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:19pm
I agree on going with MPPT vs. PWM.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:53am
There's another very similar topic that goes back two years that has recently been active:

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5017&title=connecting-a-100-watt-solar-panel-to-zamp-port

Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:46am
Originally posted by CoosBayRPodder

WE will be adding a 100+ watt solar panel to our must have list. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Renogy brand of panels? The Zamps are just way too expensive! My main concern with the Renogy is making sure the controller is waterproof even though I'm sure I could make it waterproof enough.

Recommendations on this or any other brands that would not break the bank?

I would expect that most all solar panels are workable products. I wouldn't recommend the amorphous type, the polycrystalline are more long lasting. In my opinion getting the more expensive maximum power point tracking controller is worth the extra money in the long run. You'll harvest more energy than with the cheaper pulse width modulation types. Yeah, solar energy is expensive. But after spending good money on a high powered panel, why limit its output by going with the PWM controller. Just my two cents. Other users are quite satisfied with the PWM controllers.

By the way I too just purchased my Rpod (2016 171, in Coos Bay, May 2016). Our Rpod is equipped with a 36 volt, 185 Watt Shuco panel. It uses a Morningstar SSMPPT-15L max. power point tracking controller. They run about $200. This controller harvests maximum output and converts voltage down for 12 volt battery charging. If you would like to see my setup, send a private message for contact information.

Welcome to the forum! It is a gold mine of useful information   
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:27pm

I will read your step by step for sure later tonight when I get some time, thanks!

Did you just get the panel and add your own controller?

Yes I did.  The Renogy charge controllers are alright, but SunForce is recognized as one of the best of the small charge controllers out there.  For just one 100 watt panel, a 10 amp charge controller is fine.  Adding more than one 100 watt panel can get cumbersome due to space, but really it's all that most people really need considering that you're just powering lights, your water pump, and other small things.  When you're dry camping, you'll obviously be running your fridge on propane.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
CoosBayRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:24pm
I will read your step by step for sure later tonight when I get some time, thanks!

Did you just get the panel and add your own controller?
Roy & Dudi
2017 R-Pod 180 "PODdy Time"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm

WE will be adding a 100+ watt solar panel to our must have list. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Renogy brand of panels? The Zamps are just way too expensive! My main concern with the Renogy is making sure the controller is waterproof even though I'm sure I could make it waterproof enough.

I have a 100 watt Renogy solar panel that I love.  They run about $140 on Amazon right now.  I actually have a thread in this section on how to connect to the Zamp port on your Pod with such a panel.  It's not difficult, and I have step-by-step photos.

Everything I've heard about these panels has been positive.  They're high quality.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
CoosBayRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:02pm

Roy & Dudi
2017 R-Pod 180 "PODdy Time"
 Post Reply Post Reply