R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter to power 110v outlets off-grid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheBum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter to power 110v outlets off-grid?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by johnmaci

Originally posted by TheBum

I installed a new outlet on the wall where the television outlet is. If I need inverter power elsewhere, I just run an extension cord.

I like this idea....Thanks!

I'd advise getting some 1/2" plywood to reinforce the wall where the new outlet goes. The wall is only about 1/8" thick otherwise. You'll notice that FR did that when they mounted the other outlets.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I installed a new outlet on the wall where the television outlet is. If I need inverter power elsewhere, I just run an extension cord.

I like this idea....Thanks!
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 12:00pm
We're carrying this 500 watt inverter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019PTST18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it's only in case we need to grind coffee beans, use a hand mixer or in the event of an emergency turn on the television.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:13am
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by techntrek

You would need to add an expensive bypass switch, so as suggested just use the built-in outlets on the inverter.  You probably won't want to run high-amperage devices like a toaster or juicer.

Good advice.  Most people aren't aware that a toaster can easily draw 1,000 watts, and a juicer can draw several hundred.  Coffee makers can draw 1,500 watts.  You aren't going to power these items with anything less than a large (i.e. 1,600 watt or larger) inverter with thick (2 gauge or bigger) wires very tightly clamped directly onto the batteries.

It sounds like a lot of salt for a nickel to me.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:37am
Originally posted by johnmaci

Thanks for the replies.
I have two 6v GC batteries, but it makes sense that it would still be a big draw power-wise.
It's would be nice to use the outlets in the bathroom and run an electric toothbrush, shaver, etc,; In the kitchen a toaster or juicer, etc..... 

I'm by no means an electrician, but something about your proposal sounds like there might be an electrical issue. You would be drawing off the 12 volt bus to provide 120 volts with your inverter. If you wire the inverter output to your 120 outlets you are also connecting to the input (120 volts) of your converter. Said converter is providing 12 volt charging to your battery system. Something about this circular electrical connection sounds troublesome. As you draw battery voltage down with your inverter, the converter senses that and tries to recharge the battery using 120 volts supplied by the inverter. At the very least you should turn off the converter circuit breaker to break that circular (perpetual motion?) arrangement. Anything that relies on the user remembering to turn things on or off is an opportunity for errors that could result in electrical damage or fire. I would just have an electrician look things over.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:08pm
You would need to add an expensive bypass switch, so as suggested just use the built-in outlets on the inverter.  You probably won't want to run high-amperage devices like a toaster or juicer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:07pm
I like 12V power and have several 12V outlets in the pod.  I do have some 12V appliances.  I also use an inverter for 120V small appliances.  If you hardwire an inverter to your system, you would definitely want to avoid hooking up to shore power if you don't have a means of disconnecting the inverter.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 7:38pm
Is a 2000 W generator not an option?
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 7:24pm
Thanks for the replies.
I have two 6v GC batteries, but it makes sense that it would still be a big draw power-wise.
It's would be nice to use the outlets in the bathroom and run an electric toothbrush, shaver, etc,; In the kitchen a toaster or juicer, etc..... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>