R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod 172T 15 Amp keeps tripping breaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 172T 15 Amp keeps tripping breaker
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:01pm
You may want to consider installing a battery cut-off switch to keep your battery from discharging while you are not using it. Even with no lights turned on, the LP/CO detector draws power as does the panel for the refrigerator. While these draw very little current, it is sufficient to drain a battery left unattended for extended periods.

You still will want to connect the R-Pod periodically to charge the battery. Just don't expect a 15A circuit to power everything. It will work for the lights, refrigerator, fan, and furnace since these draw much less than 15A. It will also likely power the convection-microwave. However, it is likely to overload the circuit if you try to run the AC, especially if you try to run other things as well. Remember also that the converter draws power to charge the battery and power 12V items such as lights.

It sounds like you did not have a battery installed from your post. Is it possible that the terminals for the cables shorted against the frame? I am not sure, but that may have caused the 40A fuses to blow also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
madisonprep01 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:15am
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reply.  I actually only hooked it up to the 15Amp so I could run the interior lights while I cleaned it out.  

Great suggestion on the 40A fuses in the panel.  I'll check those and see if that's the culprit.  

We typically hook the Rpod up to 30A, but occasionally will bring it home and prepack, so we like to have the lights on.  I went and bought a new battery, so I won't need to run the 15A for lights anymore:)

Thanks all!
Brannon
08-Kia Sedona
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:32pm
Why did you connect to a 15A outlet? The R-Pod came with a 30A cord for a reason. If you are trying to run the AC , the water heater, the refrigerator, and everything else, the load definitely exceeds what a 15A outlet can provide. The AC alone can trip the 15A breaker as it does at my house. I need to get a 30A outlet installed for when the R-Pod is in my driveway.

It is also possible something is wired wrong. The amber exterior light runs on 12V, not 120V. Is it possible that the converter fuses are blown? Those are the two 40A fuses on the panel. They blow to protect the system if perchance the battery was connected backward.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 9:30pm
I would say that your power needs for the pod exceeded 15 amps.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 6:46pm
Not if the switch is off. Even if the switch was on and the filament supports touched, they'd burn out pretty quickly.

It's possible that the breaker at the campsite was bad.
madisonprep01 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 5:42pm
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure this one out for a bit and I'm hoping someone else here has run in to this.  I have an Rpod 172T.  We took her out to a state park last weekend and everytime I hooked the electrical up to the 15A breaker, it would trip the breaker.  I immediately tried the 30 Amp and it worked fine.  Then switched it back to 15 Amp, and bang!  tripped the breaker again!

I checked the fuse box and didn't see any thing blown there.  I removed the battery from the Rpod and just ran tried running it off of the electrical (with no battery on board).

I did notice the exterior amber light by the door would not turn on when using the 30Amp connection.  Is it possible that a blown bulb could cause the electrical to trip on the 15 Amp connection?

Any thoughts would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
Brannon
08-Kia Sedona
 Post Reply Post Reply