R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedblack water tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sailor323 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: black water tank
    Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 7:45am
Occasionally, we put water softener and detergent in the tank along with a few gallons of water.  Then we drive to our next camp ground to dump the contents.  Also, we never put paper in the tank.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 9:37pm
I have found that the black water flush out is almost worthless, except to fill the blank tank completely full of water without the need to drag a nasty hose into your lovely trailer.  It does not spray with enough force to do much good
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 9:34pm
First of all, you should keep water in the toilet bowl at all times.  That is you odor seal. And it keeps rubber seal lubed.  When you put treatment in the black tank, be sure to add two gallons of water, maybe a little more.  Whenever you dump the black tank, fill it clear to the top with water and dump, two times.  When you get home, same procedure.  For me, I then go on a country drive with the valves open and the cap off.  A liitle gentle swerving .This will get every drop of water out of both black and grey tanks.  Then you are ready to store...be sure to put water in the bowl of the toilet.  I see no reason to not put toilet paper down the toilet...  Hope this helps a little
Joe Karen and of course Bessie the bassett
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 9:28pm
With RV toilet paper or Scott's 1 ply toilet paper, the paper should dissolve fairly easily in the tank if there's enough water in there.

I'm not sure if the 2012 models had one, but it might have a sewer tank flush.  If it did, it would be just above and to the right of the left fender, left of the water connections.  If you have it, that's the best way to clean out the blank tank.  Just hook up a garden hose (not your drinking water hose) up to the sewer flush inlet, open the blank tank valve, and start the water.  This does a pretty good, though not perfect, job of cleaning out the tank.

Another method that I have used is to put water softener into the blank tank.  This helps to clean the sides of the tank.  Since you're having an odor issue, I would recommend that you put half a box of water softener in addition to a dissolving deodorizer/sanitizer into the black tank and then fill it up about half way with fresh water.  Then go drive around in a big empty parking lot or other big space and make lots of turns so that the water sloshes around really well.  Then let it sit overnight.

If you still have an odor, you may need to get a toilet wand that hooks up to a water hose.  You have to stick this down the toilet and work it back and forth with water running to clean out the tank.  I wouldn't recommend this unless everything else fails because it can be a really nasty job.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
matell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 9:12pm
On a 2012 r pod 177 black water tank,how do you clean it?? I think due to being a new owner back then, I did not know how to use the toilet properly. Now I never put paper in the toilet. There is a oder coming from the toilet and i have put deodorizer in it several times in it. Any help??

Thanks again
Vancouver Island loving its beauty
With Misha the lab
 Post Reply Post Reply