R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery question
    Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:13pm
Pretty interesting threads.  The only time I charge my 2 12v deep cycle marine batteries is when I put the pod away in our horse barn  mid-late October and then when I bring it out of hibernation in April.  When I charge I will use the 2 amp trickle charge for about 1 day/battery.  When dry camping I will take the battery down to 1/3 of full charge before changing over to the other battery.  We are now into year 6 on our original batteries, still appear to have a lot of life left in them.  Also check the battery fluid levels a couple times a year as well, using only distilled water, no well or city water.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
matell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:47pm
a little off subject, why does my trickier charger PLUG get hot??? it never did before when i used it. only thing i can think of is it is very hot in garage about 78.
Vancouver Island loving its beauty
With Misha the lab
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by TheLoneRanger

So it sounds like it is ok to leave the 2016 R-Pod (177) connected to shore power 24/7 without a battery disconnect switch. Is that correct? Is it possible the batteries (two 12V batteries connected in parallel) will be damaged by being over charged? 

Yes, if the Pod is left connected to shore power, there is no need for a battery disconnect switch, and the Pod's charger will not overcharge the batteries.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by TheLoneRanger

Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by 4runninpod

So now if you have it plugged in all the time when you are at home then you do not need to put a charger on it? I have a cutoff switch on ours but I have it plugged into power 24/7 at home.

Yes, if you're Pod is left plugged in, no separate battery charger is needed, assuming that the batteries are not disconnected with a switch from the Pod.
So it sounds like it is ok to leave the 2016 R-Pod (177) connected to shore power 24/7 without a battery disconnect switch. Is that correct? Is it possible the batteries (two 12V batteries connected in parallel) will be damaged by being over charged? 

That is how I am set up (2-12v batteries). I am plugged in to shore power anytime that I am not driving down the road or dry camping. Your Pod has a built in 3 stage charger.....no problem.
TheLoneRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

So now if you have it plugged in all the time when you are at home then you do not need to put a charger on it? I have a cutoff switch on ours but I have it plugged into power 24/7 at home.

Yes, if you're Pod is left plugged in, no separate battery charger is needed, assuming that the batteries are not disconnected with a switch from the Pod.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 10:34pm

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
4runninpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 10:15pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by ragadas

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll install a disconnect switch.

Keep in mind that lead acid batteries will self-discharge 3-5% per month, and every minute that a lead acid battery is not at 100% is some amount of time irreversibly lost from its lifespan.

The best strategy is to leave the battery on a computer controlled charger 24/7 when you aren't actually using your Pod.  This can be done by simply leaving your battery connected to your Pod and connecting the Pod to shore power, by placing a charger on the batteries while they're still sitting on the tongue of your trailer, or by removing them and then placing a charger on them wherever is most convenient (what I do).  This practice will significantly lengthen the life of your batteries.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
ragadas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 9:51am
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll install a disconnect switch.
Dave & Chris
RP 179
2011 Tacoma Access Cab
V6 6 speed manual.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 9:29am
I take it you are talking about when it is parked at your house.  Personally I shut off everything and disconnect the battery when not in use.  I have a small Solargizer mounted to the battery box and do not cover it with the storage cover.  Prior to a trip I reconnect battery, apply shore power and allow things to charge and cool (frig).  I also do my checks to make sure things are working.  Lot of posts on best way to cool frig while traveling, propane or TV battery, different subject I guess.  I think the battery drains somewhat just parked and without any charging system.  To me it is normal to charge battery before use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>