R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WillThrill View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panels
    Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Shelpod

Thanks all for the input.  The Renogy panel is one that I am looking at but the flexible panel that Don has on his pod is intriguing. I will test the broken panel this weekend to see how much loss there is in efficiency.  This last trip we were out for 5 days dry camping and the panels kept the battery at about 90% even after the breakage. I guess the big question is do I need two 100 Watt panels or can we get by with just one (and a half?). 

If you're doing most of your Podding in the summer months when you get better output from solar panels, I do not think it is necessary to have 200 watts of solar panels.  A single 100 watt panel will easily recharge your battery 350-400 watt hours (~30 amps) per day, which is more than enough for lighting, running the Fan-tastic fan, and using the water pump.  Unless you're watching a lot of TV (ours pulled 36 watts), I just don't think it's worth the investment.  In the unlikely event that you need more power, then hook up your power line to your vehicle and run the latter to recharge the batteries a bit.  $150 toward gasoline in your vehicle would do a LOT of charging of your batteries.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 12:55pm
Thanks all for the input.  The Renogy panel is one that I am looking at but the flexible panel that Don has on his pod is intriguing. I will test the broken panel this weekend to see how much loss there is in efficiency.  This last trip we were out for 5 days dry camping and the panels kept the battery at about 90% even after the breakage. I guess the big question is do I need two 100 Watt panels or can we get by with just one (and a half?). 
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Shelpod

I have two 100 Watt solar panels for my Pod.  We were out this weekend and a sudden wind came up and flipped one of the over and of course it hit right on a semi sharp rock.Cry  Shattered the whole panel.  I tested it and it is still producing electicity so now I am wondering what to do.  I was thinking about getting some very clear packing tape and just taping over the whole panel to prevent the shards from coming out. Hate to throw out a $150 panel.  My wife would like me to replace these with suitcase style panels that would be easier for her to handle.  Anyone had a similar experience?  Any suggestions on what to do?  Any recommendations on replacement panel or panels?

Shattered glass on the front of the panel will typically reduce the panel's output by around 50%, so it's still definitely useful, just not as much.  Unfortunately, there's no cost effective way to fix the panel.

If you look at the OP in this thread (http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5017&title=connecting-a-100-watt-solar-panel-to-zamp-port), you'll see that I attached my panel to a homemade PVC stand, which would generally prevent the kind of accident you experienced, though a large enough gust of wind would still lift it.

I think that it's hard to do better than a 100 watt Renogy panel from Amazon for ~$150.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 4:09pm
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 4:04pm
I have secured mine with rope thru the mounting holes it I have them on the ground. I also use my quick clamps to hook both of the panels together, along the frame
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 3:30pm
We installed a Renogy 100w suitcase panel system. We have been very happy with it.  Here is the link to our original post on the forum
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8194&title=installing-a-renogy-100-watt-suitcase-solar-panel
This system seems to be well built and simple
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 3:22pm
I have two 100 Watt solar panels for my Pod.  We were out this weekend and a sudden wind came up and flipped one of the over and of course it hit right on a semi sharp rock.Cry  Shattered the whole panel.  I tested it and it is still producing electicity so now I am wondering what to do.  I was thinking about getting some very clear packing tape and just taping over the whole panel to prevent the shards from coming out. Hate to throw out a $150 panel.  My wife would like me to replace these with suitcase style panels that would be easier for her to handle.  Anyone had a similar experience?  Any suggestions on what to do?  Any recommendations on replacement panel or panels?
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
 Post Reply Post Reply