R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSize of Solar Panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jdtrotter View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Size of Solar Panels
    Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

Not to cross hairs, but I believe you meant 'two panel 120 watt', not amps.

Opps, that shows how much I know about electricity --- amp vs watts, etc.  Embarrassed

I sure appreciate the feedback.  We made the decision and signed the papers today for a 2017 180. While we know it will not take us some places, we are excited for new and different adventures.  We hope it will do okay on gravel and dirt as we think we will head back to the Yukon and Northwest Territories.  

After traveling in our pop up slide in camper, the space in the R-Pod seems HUGE to us.  :-) 

After checking out some suggestions here and a conversation with a friend who is in the solar business, we decided to go with two 6 volt batteries and the Zamp 120 that the dealer had.  The price of the solar kit was a couple hundred dollars more than on Amazon, but we feel good about the final price of the entire package and it all will be financed.  

Excited.  Thank you
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 3:43pm
A single 100 watt panel is sufficient for most folks unless you're watching a lot of TV.  If you needed a bit more power than that, I would recommend just charging up your batteries using your tow vehicle, something that is easy to do but seldom recommended.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 3:28pm
We use a Renogy 100watt suitcase panel and it keeps our batteries charged.  The overall system seems to be well made. We mounted the charge controller inside the pod because it is not weather proof.  I would recommend this system.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:53am
Not to cross hairs, but I believe you meant 'two panel 120 watt', not amps.

You say you do a lot of dry camping. Bear in mind that the solar panel will charge the battery, but also supply power to your power demands during the day, which means less (no) draw on the battery when the sun is able meet your daytime demands. That of course means your battery has more charge than it would going into the night time when it's the only source of power.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:46am
If you go to the Zamp website, they have a chart for sizing the panel.  Probably 120.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:27am
Yes, a charge controller is always required on all solar applications. It's job is to regulate the power generated by the panels, and to optimize and protect your batteries. Solar panels are basically low power battery chargers. The high quality sets that are easy to use, plug and play, cost more $$$. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 12:11am
I posted pictures on my removable roof mounted solar panel. I have only one panel but there is enough room to get 2 up there. Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks - List Your Mods - Posted: 02 Aug 2015 (Page 39)

Here is the link to my mounting a second panel

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8043
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
jdtrotter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:40pm
Hi,

We think we have decided to buy a 180 and have a question about solar panels.  We definitely want a solar panel because we had one with our truck camper and loved it because we do a lot of dry camping.  It was mounted on the roof and the controller was inside the camper.  

Here is the question.  The parts department at the dealer suggested that we have 2- 6volt batteries instead of the 12 volt.  We think we agree with that.  Smile   But then he showed us a rather large two panel 120 amp portable solar panel that has its own controller.  It seems like maybe overkill?  And it was about $800.00 retail.  I know we will get it cheaper, but that sounds really expensive?   Also, since it will be used to keep the batteries powered up, do we really need one with its own controller?

We really know very little about electricity and appreciate your feedback. 

John and Diane

Post Reply Post Reply