R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator on battery and propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator on battery and propane
    Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Lots of tiny mice moving around because their feet get hot.

I gave a summary of the ammonia absorption cycle although I started to lose them near the end.

I think I'd stick with the mice theory.  Agitated mice with fans tied to their backs.  The more agitated they get, the more they run around to fan things to cool them down.  Around 100º+ they give up the ghost from sheer exhaustion and that stench coming from the fridge isn't the food,... it's the mice. 

2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:29pm
Lots of tiny mice moving around because their feet get hot.

I gave a summary of the ammonia absorption cycle although I started to lose them near the end.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by techntrek

It was interesting last month when I mentioned to the family that the fridge is powered by a flame.  DAD!?!  How does THAT work?!?  Clown

And your answer was?
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:56pm
It was interesting last month when I mentioned to the family that the fridge is powered by a flame.  DAD!?!  How does THAT work?!?  Clown
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by Patriot Dave

I have this question, is either one.....gas or shore power any faster at cooling the frig down?

I don't think it really makes a difference because either way, the ammonia mixture used in lieu of traditional coolant is being heated in order to eventually, through the ammonia absorption process, cool the refrigerator.  Once it's sufficiently heated, I doubt that it would make a difference either way.
In my experience, it takes a good 24 hours or so to cool the refrigerator down regardless of whether shore power or propane is being used.
In my experience, propane cools the fridge more quickly and efficiently than 110 volt.  Case in point:  On a recent camping trip, the ambient temp in our camper rose to the high 90s.  I was running the fridge on shore power, set at the coolest setting, but the thermometer inside the fridge was at about 50.  I immediately switched over to propane, and the temp quickly cooled to about 40.My uneducated theory is that the flame produced by propane is hotter than the heat generated by electricity, thus providing better circulation of the ammonia. 

You may be right. However, I have been running on gas the past 24 hours and can't get the frig below 41 - 42. I am beginning to think when you have heat indexes at nearly a 100 and humidity hanging right there it's more than these frigs can overcome. They have exceeded their maximum capacity no mater what power source you are running on.
Thanks for the reply.
Dave & Joyce

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

I have this question, is either one.....gas or shore power any faster at cooling the frig down?

I don't think it really makes a difference because either way, the ammonia mixture used in lieu of traditional coolant is being heated in order to eventually, through the ammonia absorption process, cool the refrigerator.  Once it's sufficiently heated, I doubt that it would make a difference either way.
In my experience, it takes a good 24 hours or so to cool the refrigerator down regardless of whether shore power or propane is being used.
In my experience, propane cools the fridge more quickly and efficiently than 110 volt.  Case in point:  On a recent camping trip, the ambient temp in our camper rose to the high 90s.  I was running the fridge on shore power, set at the coolest setting, but the thermometer inside the fridge was at about 50.  I immediately switched over to propane, and the temp quickly cooled to about 40.My uneducated theory is that the flame produced by propane is hotter than the heat generated by electricity, thus providing better circulation of the ammonia. 

Thanks for the reply. Its just plain hot here. Heat index is almost 100 and humidity is heavy too. I sure hate hot and humid.
Dave & Joyce
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:26pm

In my experience, propane cools the fridge more quickly and efficiently than 110 volt.  Case in point:  On a recent camping trip, the ambient temp in our camper rose to the high 90s.  I was running the fridge on shore power, set at the coolest setting, but the thermometer inside the fridge was at about 50.  I immediately switched over to propane, and the temp quickly cooled to about 40.

My uneducated theory is that the flame produced by propane is hotter than the heat generated by electricity, thus providing better circulation of the ammonia. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:03pm

"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
Dave & Joyce
myownskin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 11:10pm
ThAnks everyone for the help, really appreciate it.   It will be about 4 days exactly, so I will be prepared to have to possibly charge it, and maybe will not have to. Just the answer and understanding I was hoping to get from this group.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>