R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle brand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle brand
    Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:41pm
A law sets a limit of what is supposedly "safe", which in this case shouldn't vary from 1000 pounds in one state to 10,000 in another.  For starters the capabilities of the TV should be factored in.  So maybe 1000 pounds for a vehicle with a 3500 pound tow rating (minivan or small suv) would be ok w/o brakes, 2000 pounds would be ok for one with a 5000 pound rating (larger suv), and 3000 pounds max for any higher tow rating (full-sized pickup or suv).  Wouldn't take much to make some calculations on reserve brake capacity in each type of vehicle and then set the numbers, then those numbers should be true in any state.

Like the inspection of amusement rides - which were handled at the federal level until congress stopped that in the early 80's.  Now there is a patchwork of federal and state laws.  A traveling carnival gets the federal treatment but permanent attractions may get full inspections from one state but none from the next state over.  So it is safe to inspect a roller coaster here but also safe to not inspect a roller coaster over there?  Inspections should be the default.

< gets off soap box >
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:44pm
So I just did some more research and believe it or not MA only requires trailer brakes on trailers 10,000 lbs or greater.  However... NY requires brakes on trailers 1000 lbs or greater!  All my other neighboring states require brakes for 3000 lbs or greater.  I was illegal for my entire 8 day trip to Niagra this summer!  I guess I'll be ordering a controller ASAP!!!  Never even crossed my mind that brakes may be required by law. 
2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:25pm
I just did a little research and I like what I see about the 

Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control.  I have a $100 gift card to Amazon burning a hole in my pocket, this is only $70 plus $12 for the plug and play wire harness.  I don't know what the laws are here in MA, maybe I should find out. Cry

2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:18pm
I've towed a lot of trailers without brakes too, big, heavy ones, and I still do, and I understand what you're saying about your 5.7L Tundra.  I didn't have a 7-pin connector or a brake controller when I picked up my RPod in Birmingham and towed it back to Nashville.  It's doable, no question.  But the best thing by far I've done since getting the RPod was get a brake controller and hook up the brakes.  Aside from, as Doug says, the law, and the general safety considerations, it takes a whole lot of the stress out of going down the road.

TT 
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:03pm
Many like the Prodigy line.  I still use my original Prodigy, now they have the P3.
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 9:42pm
Thanks for the advise.  I have a few things planned for next camping season.  1st is a 200 watt solar panel kit.  2nd is a sway dampner.  3rd will be a brake controller.  I read a few post about controllers when I first bought the trailer but was a bit confused as to which one would work the best and easiest. I've had several trailers, one being a tandem axle car trailer but none of them had brakes. 
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 8:37pm
Multiple reasons to use the pod's brakes.  Far less wear on the more-expensive brakes on the TV.  Many states require it for a trailer with a gross weight above 3000 pounds.  Using only the trailer brakes is the only way to stop a bad sway situation.

Even with a full-sized truck I would never tow a trailer w/o using its integral brakes.
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 10:47pm
Just did a search on line, looks like The newer Pods have a Dexter Torflex axle.
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 10:35pm
No problems yet, only have aprox. 1500 miles on it so far.  I tow with a Tundra so I don't use the trailer brakes.  Tracks great and tows like a dream with the 5.7L out front.  I personally wouldn't tow it with anything smaller then a half ton truck or SUV.
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:54am
I have a lippert axel on our 2010 rp 174. I got the problem fixed my self. The plate that the backing plate bolts to was not welded on properly just had to put some shims in and all is well. My problem was with the brakes, are you haveing  problems with your axel??? If you have abnormal tire wear or some other indications of problems?..don't worry yourself to much about all the stuff you read about here on the forum. Pays to be informed  just keep up your maintenance and enjoy your trailer. Little problems just come and go
                  Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>