R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReceiver Loose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Receiver Loose
    Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 9:14pm
Good news!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 8:29pm
Great! I'm glad you found a solution for your problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Larabee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 3:56pm
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the feed back. It appears that the hitch has a lot of play when it is in the receiver and since the mountain roads in our coastal Northern California area are pretty bad the noise was generated every time the weight shifted the hitch it made the noise.

I purchased a hitch that fits snugger, and the noise and shifting of weight went away.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Larabee

We just purchased our 179 and noticed on the way home that there seemed to be a shift in weight on the rear and then a loud banging noise from time to time. We called the dealership, and they said it was normal.

I thought I would make a couple of more comments about this. Did you notice this noise going down the road straight? Was it when you hit a bump? Was it going around gentle curves or sharp curves? Was it when you were turning a corner left or right?

If it was straight and/or bumps, then I would suggest play in the hitch shank and the receiver. This will be banging or clunking noises, but they are not that loud. This type of noise can be minimized with a hitch tightener.

If it is on curves, and especially when making a sharp turn, then it is most likely the bars sliding along the brackets. That is metal on metal. It will really make a loud banging or clunking noise as well as groaning noises as the bar slides. The groaning is when it is sliding. The banging is when it has enough friction to hold it long enough to let pressure build and then releases and slides. This type of noise can be reduced by using Sway Bracket Jackets or by greasing the sway brackets. This will reduce sway control a little, but not so much that it negates sway control.

Please let us know when you figure out the cause of your noises.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:44pm
 The Anderson hitch , it doesn't matter if the tow ball is greased or not, the tow ball rotates with the trailer anyway. The anti-sway is a friction cup that the ball mounts in, and the WD is accomplished with urethane bumpers mounted to chains instead of spring bars like traditional WD hitches.

I do use grease on the Anderson tow ball, it can make noise. A little lithium quiets it up nicely.

I found that it does settle the R-Pod down on uneven roads extremely quickly, and I don't know I'm towing it on the highway, very stable.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 7:47pm
+1

I used a different style of hitch tightener. Before getting it, we experienced the same clunking noises. You didn't say what hitch you got. We have the Equal-i-zer 4-way stabilization hitch. The bars for that also make groaning and clunking noises. Sway Bracket Jackets from Equal-i-zer quiet those noises. Also, grease the bar pivots per the instructions unless you have the Andersen hitch which shouldn't be greased.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 6:54pm
This could be the tow bar has play in the vehicle hitch receiver. Until I installed a clunk stopper on my receiver, it would knock on bumps and turns.

Shown is the anti-rattle shackle ($20), and my old tow bar (I currently use an Anderson tow bar, but I still do use the anti-rattle shackle.).

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:44pm
I think NO.  There are subtle noises from receiver in hitch, but hitch pin and receiver holes should match.  Ball should be tight, TV receiver fully locked on ball.  There is not a lot of room for movement.  Don't call - have someone look at it.  There is a number of things could be wrong.  Really a safety issue.
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:03pm
Two questions:
What tow vehicle are you pulling with?
When parked flat and level (and hitched up), is the tongue of the rpod  level to the ground, or is it pointing up or down from level?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 3:28pm
Not really enough info - pics would be great -- but it doesn't sound right to me either.  Find someone other than the dealer to inspect it.  If there are any loose nuts or bolts, don't tow without tightening them.  It could be that you're just new to towing and nothing's wrong, but this is the kind of thing you need to pay attention to.  If it doesn't feel right, get it checked out.  Way too much at stake to do otherwise.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>