R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie questions
    Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:39pm
We will put our stabs down until we have firm contact, then make a second round giving each one 3/4 to 1 full turn again, depends on how firm the soil/sand is.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by dr2428

Hello,
    A couple newbie questions on my new 179:
1. I plan to set the camper up myself on a regular basis and thought using a floor jack would be easier than backing onto leveling blocks but I can't find where on the RPod to place the jack. I don't see it marked but may have missed it. Can you help?
2. How to use the stabilizer jacks? I understand they are not to raise the camper, ie for a tire change but how hard should I crank them down? Just until they reach the ground, or can I add a half or 3/4 turn to make the camper rock solid. It has been parked in my driveway for a week with the jacks just cranked to the pavement and there are a lot of creaks, and it doesn't feel 100% stable.

I appreciate any help I can get here.

Thanks
Dan

If setting up solo, in fact if solo or not, We use the BAL leveler most of the time. Put the pod where you want it, low side on a single lego, slide BAL under, chock high side, Disconnect from truck, level with BAL.

On the stabs, I run them all down to firm contact, then make a second round "lifting each corner" another 3/4 of an inch or so. Two adults and 150lbs of dog, rarely feels wobbly.
EliseWinter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 2:14am
True, small RVs will have some noticeable movements. My friend was dealing with the fifth wheel transportation as he has to transport his Redwood fifth wheel and he was lucky enough to get the best fifth wheel transportation company and got his vehicle shipped, by taking the benefits of their extra resources and services at the right time.
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 5:28am
Originally posted by dr2428

How to use the stabilizer jacks? I understand they are not to raise the camper, ie for a tire change but how hard should I crank them down? Just until they reach the ground, or can I add a half or 3/4 turn to make the camper rock solid. It has been parked in my driveway for a week with the jacks just cranked to the pavement and there are a lot of creaks, and it doesn't feel 100% stable.

Here is a link to a system that is supposed to make the camper 100% stable with no wiggle. I have not bought it yet but probably will over the winter months.

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by NoDak

We have a similar question on our 180. On our last setup, we were still wiggly with the stab jacks down.

That just comes with the territory with any small RV.  Unless you're dealing with a large fifth wheel or motor home, you're going to have some noticeable movement even with the stabilizers down.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm
We do probably a full turn on the stab jacks after they've reached the ground, or pad.

Being a newbie myself, can't help you with the floor jack placement. There was a post I read about jack placement for changing a tire, and the consensus was on the frame, not on the axle.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:47pm
Congratulations on your new R-Pod. We got our 179 in December of last year. Like you, we had many questions. Searching this forum has been very helpful.

1. Do NOT use a floor jack! The one place you especially should not place it is on the axle. Use of a jack for raising the pod to change a tire is sometimes necessary. Where the axle is bolted to the frame (or riser), there is a bracket. I made a block that has a V shaped cutout for the axle with flat parts on either side that sit on the bracket. No pressure is on the axle. If you have the tools to do so, it would be good to make such a block to have on hand if you need to change a tire. Also, don't count on your auto's scissor jack to be able to jack up the pod. The one time I tried, the jack bent.

2. Stabilizer jacks are just that. I use a battery operated drill/driver with a 3/4" socket. I have it set for #3, which is not very much pressure. You can put pressure on them. You should not put enough pressure that it raises the tires. Forest River's docs say that if you do raise the tires off the ground with the stabilizers, it can bend the frame and make it so the door does not work. An additional turn after you feel resistance is a good starting point. The stabilizers still won't take away all movement. There is some flex. It isn't like a house which has a foundation all around the perimeter.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:44pm
We have a similar question on our 180. On our last setup, we were still wiggly with the stab jacks down. We have the yellow plastic, probably 6-inch square pads, and the tongue jack tube was on a 4X4, on crushed gravel. Should we tighten up the stab jacks more, use bigger pads, or use the "foot" on the tongue jack on a pad?
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:05pm
Hello,
    A couple newbie questions on my new 179:
1. I plan to set the camper up myself on a regular basis and thought using a floor jack would be easier than backing onto leveling blocks but I can't find where on the RPod to place the jack. I don't see it marked but may have missed it. Can you help?
2. How to use the stabilizer jacks? I understand they are not to raise the camper, ie for a tire change but how hard should I crank them down? Just until they reach the ground, or can I add a half or 3/4 turn to make the camper rock solid. It has been parked in my driveway for a week with the jacks just cranked to the pavement and there are a lot of creaks, and it doesn't feel 100% stable.

I appreciate any help I can get here.

Thanks
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply