Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an R-Pod
    Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 5:31pm
Welcome. Just keep in mind the range limits we've discussed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Skryll View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
Looks like California is giving higher incentives to hydrogen cars than to electric vehicles these days, so the experiments are still being encouraged. I think for most people battery will make more sense though, because you mostly just plug in over night in your garage and with solar panels on the roof of the house you don't have to worry about your consumption not being offset by clean energy. Always full in the morning and never having to stop to fill up is hard to beat, for those 90% of driving we do for our daily things. And supercharging works rather well when we go the distance, which is not that often but when we do we don't mind, i.e. 900 mile round trip to family in southern california, or into the sierra mountains for camping etc. 

That being said, I am also interested in how it turns out to pull an rpod with a model X, and would love to rent one northern california to just try it out, for impact on range as much as for how my family likes this style of vacation. We have done camping plenty and getting older I now sometimes would prefer a real mattress ;)

Are there any good affordable places for renting rpods / airstreams / etc? 

I am especially interested in the Forest River R-Pod RP-172 as mentioned on http://topratedtraveltrailers.com/4-lightweight-travel-trailers-3500-lbs/

Any replies to the topic of where to rent those welcome :)

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:03am
Edit post is still an option in the Post Options list, even after additional replies have been posted. I just checked my post above and did an edit to make sure.

I do hope that battery technology or some other form of energy storage other than gasoline or diesel with sufficient energy density to be practical will become available soon. Unfortunately, there are no technologies that I know of that would suffice at the present. I had high hopes that fuel cell technology would improve sufficiently to work, but it seems to have faded and the money has gone into battery technology instead.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:31am
I started skimming through that forum discussion and saw this:

johnse | May 26, 2015

Just thinking about the actual work imparted on the trailer to bring it to Siskiyou pass elevation 1314m (assuming from sea level)...
mass = 2721 kg
g = 9.8 m/s^2
d = 1314 m

Work = m * g * d = 35.04MJ = 9733 Wh or 9.733 kWh

So, ignoring the aerodynamic drag, this would imply that about 11% of an 85kWh battery's charge would be spent hauling the extra mass up the mountain.

This suggests that towing isn't actually as detrimental range as one might have thought. Drag might be, but you can mitigate that by driving more slowly or having more streamlined trailers.

Please point out if my 40-years dormant physics has flaws in it :)

jjs | May 26, 2015

@johnse Although the 85kWH battery has at least the capacity to store 85kWH of power when new, not all of it is usable. Some is saved as a buffer to protect the battery from damage. It has been estimated at about 10%. So assume usable battery power of 76.5 kWH. So if your calculations regarding the work required is correct it would be more like 13%. Still not too bad. If you consider a round trip then you get to recover some of that on the trip back down.

georgehawley.fl.us | May 26, 2015

@johnse: let's see. There is also the work getting the MX up the mountain, another 2.3 kg. there is also the rolling friction to overcome, about 300 wh/mile for the trailer plus the MX and then there's the drag depending on speed. 150 miles gobbles up more than 45 kWh on top of the 20 kWh of work elevating the car plus load. That's 65 kWh not counting drag and things like climate control. That's why 150 miles is a stretch.

But it is still pretty good.

[Farther down someone else mentioned it would be good for short-haul towing but not for long-haul for the reasons that we've already mentioned on this thread. And note that the 1314 m (4311 ft) pass mentioned above is just one mountain, depending on where you are going you can go over multiple passes - techntrek]
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:16am
Oh, and I don't think you can edit a post after someone has replied to it.

I fixed the link to that forum discussion.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:13am
StephenH, good post, sums it up well. When I was driving through many parts of the US west of the Mississippi if I got down to 2-3 gallons of gas I was starting to seriously worry about filling up because that only left me 20-30 miles before I was sitting on the side of the road. Starting out with 2-3 gallons equivalent of energy is a problem.

cmt489 - I came back to this thread to try to sum it up this way: towing is a very energy-intensive activity, and while electric motors are perfect for towing (thus their use by railroads for high torque to get thousands of tons moving from a dead stop) the current energy storage and recharging options are not - except in limited use-cases.

Or to put it another way, if it was a good option for highway use the trucking industry would already be using it. The only reason railroads do is they can either get unlimited supply from catenaries, third rail, or they can carry a very large load of diesel (with the downside of high conversion losses chemical-kinetic-electric).
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:53pm

Edited the link so it works - techntrek

Originally posted by cmt489

Since I can't seem to edit to add information, the Model X is a class 3 towing vehicle.

https://forums.tesla.com/en_CA/forum/forums/class-3-towing-capability
Trying to click on the link yields
404 - File or directory not found.
I am not against what you want to do. I have no doubt that the Tesla has sufficient torque and horsepower to move a travel trailer. However, to be realistic, wind resistance is something you will have to take into consideration. Since you say you have many miles with a 5th wheel, it is not something of which you are unaware. That is why I am saying that you should also consider lower-profile trailers such as the Alto, Aliner, or other HiLow trailers.If the Tesla and other electric vehicles can reach a point where charging stations, and especially ones that can pump a charge into a vehicle as fast or almost as fast as it takes to fill a gas or diesel tank, become ubiquitous so that one does not have to worry about being stranded, I would consider it a viable option. Until then, I don't see it as practical for anything outside of local area towing.As for editing, if you want to edit a post, look for the post options at the top-right  of the post which you wish to edit. The edit will be on a drop-down menu there.Edit: I found this page which may be helpful. It has information about the energy equivalence of various fuels plus electricity. One gallon of gasoline is equivalent to 33.41 kWh I have seen specifications for Tesla batteries. One stated 75 kWh and 90 kWh. Another stated 100 kWh. Using the chart, this equates to about 2.25 gal (75 kWh), 2.7 gal (90 kWh), and 3 gal (100 kWh), respectively. Even changing the calculation to using 10% ethanol only yields 2.29, 2.75, and 3.05 GGE. That is totally inadequate for towing any distance, especially when taking the added wind resistance of a full-height trailer into consideration.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:44pm
Congrats!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm
Hey,
Thanks to my reply to your reply I see am no longer a "Groupie" and I am now a "Senior Member".   Cheers!
Hint:  It looks like you have to hit 100 posts to move to senior member. 
Thanks also go to Elon Musk for this honor. 
(And there are even "Grand Exaalted Leaders" on this web site.  God only knows what that takes to achieve that level) 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:31pm
Several responses in one post here...

Fred - actually I've wanted to build a pusher for years.  Read about it years ago in an issue of Home Power magazine.  Often built on the rear half of a pickup frame since you can load it up with lead-acid weight and just need to add the electric motor on the existing drive shaft since the rest of what you need to put the power on the pavement is already there.  I figured I would add a second accelerator on the left side of the brake pedal and let the gas engine idle as much as possible to power the various accessories like the brakes, power steering, etc.  I'd be happy with a 50% mpg increase.

Someone suggested mounting a generator as an assist.  Not nearly enough electrons to do any good compared to the power needs of an electric car.

cmt489 - welcome.  On top of my knowledge of home-made electric vehicles I've also designed my own home solar system, several times over.  Never could pull the pin on building it with kids to put through college and family vacations before the kids fly away.  I was an advocate for the Volt years before it went to production.  Can't wait for a viable mainstream truck for towing since you get full torque from a dead stop.  So that puts into context what I'm going to say:  as has been said already, you don't want to tow with the range your vehicle has unless it is within 100 miles and you charge for the trip home while you are in-camp.  No way cross-country.  Too many places you will almost run out of gas let alone try to find a charging station.  Also as been said, you don't want to tow a full-height camper if you do.  Aerodynamic drag has a far larger affect on mpgs (range) than weight.  Real-world example, I used to tow a large popup with a Sienna.  That camper was heavier than a 171 pod but of course half the height of a pod when being towed.  The Sienna got 23 mpg during daily driving, 16 mpg pulling the heavier popup, and later 10-12 pulling the pod.  Figure a 1/3 loss in range pulling a popup but over 50% loss in range pulling a pod (thus my suggestion to keep within 100 miles of home).  You know this from pulling a horse trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>