R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Overkill?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
finder9 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch Overkill?
    Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 9:48am
Thanks folks.  That was kind of my thinking.  Appreciate the comments.

Jack
2017 Rpod 179
2015 Dodge Ram
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 11:19pm
+1 on the Fastway E2 or Equal-i-zer 4-way sway control hitch (the one I have). I have no experience with the Andersen. Some have rated it highly. Others do not think so well of it. It does have a lot of advantages, among which would be the weight. The Equal-i-zer's hitch head is HEAVY. I suspect the one on the E2 is not exactly light either. You will need to take that into consideration when deciding which one is right for you. If I were to get a new one, I would definitely be considering the Andersen unless something better comes along.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:30pm
That Reese is way overkill for the Pod. The recommended WDH for Pods is the E2 by Fastway. It's rated for a 6000# trailer with 600# tongue weight. Very popular here. It does both weight distribution and sway control and is easy to use. Another popular model is the Andersen, but it doesn't do as well on weight distribution. A third option is the 6000/600 Equal-i-zer by Progress Mfg. Inc. It is slightly better, but also more expensive. The E2 is really the best option IMO and I have used one for years. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:59pm
We recently purchased a new 2017 Rpod 179 and will pick it up this week.  We went to a state wide RV show and got what I think was a great price.  Forest River had sweetened the pot with a substantial discount in addition to the dealer discount. Now everything we had before were 5th wheels and our knowledge of Weight Distributing Hitches is limited. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe with factory tow package and a 8200 lb tow rating so power and control isn't a problem.

Now my question: The dealer wants to sell me (at cost) a Reese Pro Series 49570 WD hitch.  It is rated at 1200# max tongue weight and a 12,000 pound gross weight rating.  No sway control (friction type) is included but can be easily added.

The 179 has approximately a 300 lb tongue weight and approximately 3800 lb gross.  The side sticker says this unit weighs 2925.

Is this too much hitch for a small trailer?  In addition to the tongue weight, the hitch will add 75 pounds and with any load in the back of the Tahoe there is certainly a need for WD so it doesn't squat too much.  But is bigger better? It will be strong, that's for sure.  Is sway an issue?  

Thanks for any help!  Kind of at a loss on this question.
 Post Reply Post Reply