Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

battery issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Colt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery issues
    Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
With 4 hours of full sun a day, this panel and charge controller will keep your battery fully charged.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFJ73X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q820UK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:27am
If the battery is performing well and if you get it tested and it is good, I don't see why you would need to replace it just because of time. It may last a few more years since you are not really stressing it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:58am
I've still have my original battery for my 2017 179 (new April 2017). I do not boon-dock and I have replaced my converter once. So I am always plugged into shore power so the battery stays charged. I likely will look at replacing it next year when it turns 5, but really haven't had a single issue with it. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:12pm
See this link:  https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html

Good to read the whole thing, but just to answer the question on how to check on the battery, scroll 2/3 of the way down to the colored chart.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mojave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 8:58am
When I store my Rpod, I disconnect the wires on the negative side of the battery. 

With an inexpensive multi-meter (< $10 on eBay) you can check your battery's state. Volt DC (Vdc) reading of the following indicate state of charge: 12.6 vdc is about 100% charged; 12.4vdc abt 75%; 12.1 vdc abt 50%. 

Batteries have something known as leak voltage. Even disconnected they can lose about 10% charge a month (lead acid battery). In the disconnected state, I recharge my battery about once a month (or as needed). Battery tender (or trickle charger), another option, I believe has been discussed.

Note: Volts can be thought of as pressure and amps (Amperage) as quantity. The above testing scheme only works on a healthy battery. An unhealthy (tired) battery may read charged (Volts) but not be able to deliver enough amps. 
gaileee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gaileee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
Thank you all!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 8:29pm
The gauge on the wall is hokum. HOKUM!!

I installed a voltage monitor long ago..

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 8:06pm
Question for you Mark.  For the past 5 plus years I have run my batteries until it shows on the wall gauge 1/3  full charge.  At that point I change over to my other battery.  Yet many posts claim that you shouldn't take them below 50%.  How do you check your battery while camping (wished I asked you that at the ERU in Traverse City this summer)?  I ask that because both my batteries will be 6 years old next March and still seem to be working well even though I have made it a habit to bring them down to 33%, at least according to that gauge on the wall.  I know how inaccurate that is when it comes to showing the black and grey water levels, maybe the same for battery charge?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by gaileee

After reading your message, I am thinking it may have to do with maintaining the battery when not in use.  Not sure about how or what to do between trips??  Someone suggested I get a battery tender?
Thanks for your reply!

If you park the pod at home, buy an adapter and plug it in, or install a 30A outlet at home. If you store away from home, at the least, disconnect the battery when away from it, and best, take it home with you, and put it on a tender at the interval the tender suggests.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Mojave1

How does the battery affect carbon monoxide levels? This is dangerous and you need to get to the bottom of it.

The battery, when it gets low, causes the PROPANE detector to alarm, because it is hardwired.

If the battery is tired you need to replace it. A Group 24 battery has about 70-80 Amp Hours of electricity. If your battery is healthy, I wonder what's pulling the juice? One possibility is the fridge. Never run your fridge on battery, as it uses a lot of current. Dry camping the fridge should be on propane. Heaters in general pull about 5 amp-hour, but don't run constantly. Even in cool weather, I think one charge on the battery is enough for a weekend.

Pods have phantom drains, that can't fully be addressed. Furpod has a couple extra constant loads, I pull the fuses for those if I can when boondocking. But just sitting, we pull .165aH constant.

Also, you don't want to discharge your battery more than 50%. The less you discharge it, the more charges the battery has in it (it will live longer).

If you need more power. Consider a Group 29 battery (about 114 amp-hour, $99 at Walmart). Or two group 24 batteries (75 Amp-hour x 2). RV battery sizes by group are 24, 27, 29, & 31. Or two 6v golf cart batteries (about 200 amp-hours). When dry camping, I find my generator very helpful.

For anyone who does a lot of boondocking, paired 6v's are the answer. In 6v's you get true deep cycle batteries, so if you do pull them down past 50% SOC, they will take the abuse better. And dual GC2s are the most aH's you can get on the rack without modifications to the rack.

I'm speaking in generalities above. I don't know your situation. The purpose is to help you find an answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>