R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreakaway Switch as Parking Brake???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David D View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakaway Switch as Parking Brake???
    Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:37am
Thanks everyone, for your replies... very helpful!  Charlie, thanks for the info re the draw on battery power.  Tars, thanks for sharing your cliff camping experience.  Craneman, good idea about leaving the breakaway cable connected.... if I need to go offsite with my tv, I may even look around for another stationary object to hook up the cable, like a picnic table.  And, Furpod, perhaps the reason why little wreckage is visible from the picture, is that it's all been washed away... though if you look closely you can make out a lone wing of a Shasta.  ...j/k   (thanks all for your posts)
2015 R-Pod 179
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:36am
You should use chocks and if you are still uneasy un hook you tv and leave the break away connected to the tv. If for some reason your trailer starts to move it will activate your breaks jmo

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:46pm
We camped a few weeks ago at Albiquiu Dam Campground in New Mexico.  A very similar site in terms of campsites on the edge of cliffs.  We were warned on checking in that the campground allowed no alcoholic beverages at all.  The reason was that so many people had driven off the cliffs.  Most of the sites have a fairly significant slope. 

Very careful chocking the wheels and disconnecting the trailer are essential in situations like this.  I had chocks but felt the need to move a big ol' rock to the low side of one wheel too at Albiquiu.  Using the breakaway switch to activate the pod brakes as parking breaks at Kirk Creek could cause you to wake up at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, assuming your roll gives you enough momentum to get that far.  Not a good idea.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:07pm
NEVER use the pod brakes as parking brakes.

Just use proper chocks. Thousands of other RVs have parked in those spots, zooming in, I see very little wreckage at the bottom of the cliff... Wink
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:44pm
Not a good idea. First, the bake magnets are not designed for continuous operation. They may burn out, thus being unavailable when you need them. Secondly the brakes draw ~3.5 Amps per brake from the trailer battery. For the single axle Pods that's 7 Amps continuous. That will soon run the battery down. Better to use good chocks.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
David D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:12pm
Hello fellow R-Podders,

Has anyone ever used the breakaway switch as a parking brake?  I ask because there is a campground I'd like to go to with cliff side sites; see picture attached.  Red line denotes cliff. And, those sites which aren't cliff-side have driveways which slope towards the cliff.  So, besides chocking both wheels, what if I pulled the pin on the breakaway switch?  Would the unit draw continual power from my 12-volt battery to keep to brakes fully engaged; or is there another smaller "hidden" battery which the breakaway switch relyies on; which might only last a few hours?

By the way, found this helpful video on how to properly connect the breakaway cable to the tow vehicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eubR3ssLiOM

2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply