R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBearing buddies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing buddies
    Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 11:01pm
The essential difference from what I see between the SuperLube hub and the Bearing Buddy is that the SuperLube hub is made so the grease goes all the way to the rear of the assembly and pushes the old grease out. The Bearing Buddy only caps the hub and has a grease fitting for adding grease. However, that only gets fresh grease to the outside bearing but there does not seem to be any way to push the grease to the inner bearing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 4:41pm
As already pointed out,Pods essentially come with "bearing buddies," or SuperLube hub.  If yours doesn't, I don't see any reason for not installing bearing buddies.  They provide an easy way to grease the bearings without removing the hub.  Having the SuperLube hub or bearing buddies does not take the place of periodic visual inspection of the bearings and spindes
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:45pm
I plan on doing this annually. I think that if one is having it done manually on an annual basis, using the SuperLube hub annually would be a good choice also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by StephenH

Please don't add the bearing buddies. They are not needed. The R-Pods come with SuperLube hubs (Lippert axles) or Ez-Lube hubs (if they have Dexter axles). Remove the rubber seal under the hub, and you will see a grease fitting. Pump grease in there while spinning the wheel. Do this until you see new grease coming out of the hub. You can find videos of how to do this online.

Good to know. Thanks.

Is the recommended interval every year, or should we be able to get two or three years out of one grease "charge"?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:21am
+1  ^^
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 10:05pm
Please don't add the bearing buddies. They are not needed. The R-Pods come with SuperLube hubs (Lippert axles) or Ez-Lube hubs (if they have Dexter axles). Remove the rubber seal under the hub, and you will see a grease fitting. Pump grease in there while spinning the wheel. Do this until you see new grease coming out of the hub. You can find videos of how to do this online.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 6:14pm
I have used bearing buddies for years, primarily on boat trailers.  Because you do immerse the axle in water.  I can't see any harm in using them on a travel trailer.  Presently I do normal maintenance on the R-Pod much like I do my vehicles.  Which is a yearly inspection, cleaning and re-grease of the bearings. Not a big job, little messy.  My only warning would be even greased bearings wear out.  So I like to look at them and verify condition.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 6:00pm
We had a wheel bearing failure while on our latest trip. Luckily, I saw the smoking wheel quick enough to avoid any major damage. We were able to pull off the road  immediately. Lucky for us, the problem occurred about 1/4 mile from an RV dealer.  Once the wheel cooled, we slowly made it to their shop and the wheel was removed.  the bearings were totally wasted, but the axle spindle was only slightly scratched.  A new hub, bearings and seals were installed and the spindle polished and all is ok after $260 in repairs.   the mechanic mentioned that Bearing buddies might have prevented the problem.  I did an initial on-line search and found lots of different sizes and info.  Sounds like potentially a good insurance part to add to the wheels and hubs. I talked with several others and they seemed to think they were primarily  for boat trailers that were continuously immersed in water.

Has anyone here used them or had any experience with Bearing buddies?

thanks
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply