R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRP 180 Water pump - Event Date: 23 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: RP 180 Water pump
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 12:11pm
I think a 90 degree elbow and a rigid tube (length to fit the bottle) added on to the end of the flexible tube would work better than just lengthening the tube.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:31am
Has anyone thought of or has anyone put an extension on the hose (to make it longer/easier) to suck up the anti freeze from the bottles? When winterizing I find the original hose a little to short and not flexible enough.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:11am
Originally posted by flat6s

I do not understand why the water pump must be accessed to winterize. Can someone please explain this to me ?
Happy Trails
Joe

Because on the water pump line is a valve, and that valve is hooked to a hose, and that hose can be placed in a gallon jug of anti-freeze, the valve turned to draw from there instead of the holding tank, and the anti-freeze pumped through the system from there. With the WH bypassed, it takes 1 gallon to winterize, including some to dump in the P traps. This also makes sure anti-freeze gets into the pump and it's pre-filter. Also, come spring time, WAY less anti-freeze to flush from the system. Some people are sensitive to the "flavor".

flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 7:53am
I do not understand why the water pump must be accessed to winterize. Can someone please explain this to me ?
Happy Trails
Joe

Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 9:33pm
The 2017.5 180 water pump is under the bed in the back corner.  There are two boards (front and back).  First I had to completely remove the mattress.  Then I had to unscrew the front board and slide it over the back board to get the water heater bypass.  Then slide the front board back into place, place, the back board and slide it on top of the front board to access the water pump syphon hose.  After all that I then winterized with pink stuff.  In spring I'll have to only remove the front board to un-bypass the water heater.  After all that I decided to purchase an air compressor so next year I will just go with the "plow-out" technique which should be adequate for north Alabama.
Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 7:10pm
Just winterized my 180.  Decided not to tear out plywood etc under the bed.  Winterized the same way I have done my trailers for the last 20 years.  Isolate hot water heater, drain it, remove anode and clean out debris.  Blow out hot and cold water lines with low pressure compressor including low point drains.  Pour 4 to 5 gallons of rv anti freeze in fresh water holding tank.  Turn on water pump and open every faucet, one at a time, hot and cold side until pink anti freeze appears, including outside shower and inside shower. Including low point drains.  Now your pump and all water lines are winterized.  Only thing left is the traps.  Put one of the empty antifreeze jugs under trailer at fresh water drain, open the drain cap, fiill up jug, and use that on your drains to fill each trap, including inside shower...Smile...you are done.
Happy trails
Joe
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 5:55pm
Our 180 has it under the bed on the left side.You need to remove the plywood under the mattress to get to it(i know its a PITA) First mod I do in the spring is cut the plywood and make a hatch!!!!!
terry908 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:44pm
I am preparing to winterize my RP 180 for the first time but can't find any literature that explains how to access the water pump. Does anyone on the forum have that information? If so, could you drop me a line?
 Post Reply Post Reply