R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery/Solar panel question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery/Solar panel question
    Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by JET

Charlie...thanks for you input. I decided to add the two CG2 batteries now and get it over with :)
Good decision. You won't be sorry. Later, when you are ready to consider solar, go for a 100W panel. Then you'll only have to worry about where to get water and where to dump the gray tank. Camp on! Thumbs Up

I am looking to do some dry camping at Joshua Tree in a month or so.
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by JET

Charlie...thanks for you input. I decided to add the two CG2 batteries now and get it over with :)
Good decision. You won't be sorry. Later, when you are ready to consider solar, go for a 100W panel. Then you'll only have to worry about where to get water and where to dump the gray tank. Camp on! Thumbs Up
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by JET

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:47pm
I will probably be in your situation in the coming year or so as my 2 group size 24  12v deep cycle batteries are 2 months out of being 6 years old on my 177.  They continue to do a fantastic job as I will get 3-4 days out of each battery before I switch over to the other. Battery will last three days when night temps run in the 40's to upper 30's, 4 days when night temps are 50's and above.  I take them to 33% SOC before switching out to the fully charged one.  Don't forget to regularly check water level in battery and only use distilled water when filling.  Where I live in northern Michigan I take the batteries out of the pod in November and bring them in my unheated garage where they will get a 2 amp trickle charge that will last for 24 hours each.  Nothing is done to them until the following early April when I will give each a 2 amp trickle charge again until they are 100% fully charged; this normally takes about 36 hours/battery.  By taking good care of your batteries they will in turn take care of you.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:33pm
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:31pm
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. You gave me a lot of good advice and food for thought. I really appreciate it. 
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:29pm
Thank you Leo!
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:14pm
Jet,
If I were you I would just run the single group 24 for awhile and hunt around later for the best 6v set up if and when you find you need it. you may not, and a 100 watt solar panel should be all you need unless your living in it off grid.
 You can do it a bit cheaper later when money isn't so tight, you may find it will work fine for the time being or that just adding another G24 will be all you really need.

G24's are the bare minimum, cheapest, worst option for boondocking, but for most weekend campers and travelers they are plenty good enough.  

The big questions are;
1. Are you staying at parks with full hook ups?  1- G24 ok, no solar needed
2. or a campground w/ no power hook up for up to 4 nights?  2- g24 is ok,  would benefit from solar.
3.or traveling every day, or every other day, with a TV that will charge the Pod battery? 1- g24 is ok no solar needed.
4.Or are you boondocking for 4-7 days with no access to a power source for charging? 2- g27 or better yet 2-GC 6v needed. solar helps lots.
5. Are you going to live in the woods for week or more, 2-GC6v and solar recommended.  (by me)
5. Do you have a small generator ($89 harbor freight tailgater) that you could run and hour or so to charge things up some?, (i know someone here should be able to tell us how long to full charge).

One low end group 24 battery should give at least 2  nights / 3 days between charges If you are a little bit careful, This option will kill the G24 charging ability over time.

My Two group 24's last me 4 nights in the woods no problem, just being a little careful and I plan to run them until they start to die. And then go for the true deep cycle 6v.  It's been 8 months and 6 trips for 22 nights and no issues with power so far. 

Iv'e found that If i travel at least every other day, my batterys stay charged just fine.
Also you could bring a battery with you to the dealer if you have one you can beg, borrow, or steal, Get the credit from the dealer, and be part way to a better option.

Good luck and welcome aboard!!!
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:53am
Jet,

Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:37am
JET
Definitely get rid of the cheap battery that they have included.  Get the two GC2s.  i just purchased 2 gc2 from battery and bulbs for $260.31 with taxes and fees and core charges.  they are 215 amp hr in series, which is probably 3x what the single 12v is.  Battery boxes are about $10 ea.  My 2016 182g has plenty of room for the two battery setup without modification.  So, either you are getting a really good deal or cheap batteries.  make sure what they are putting on there and they are real "deep cycle" batteries.

Read up here for battery and solar pairing depending on your planned use of the Pod.

Welcome to the forum.

Texman   
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>