R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Blue Rhino Scam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Blue Rhino Scam
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:21pm
Having a spare tank means that I can take advantage of choosing when and where to refill the empty one. I can wait until I have an errand that brings me close to a place where I can get my tank filled as opposed to having to take the exchange tank which will be overpriced and have potential issues like one of the Blue Rhino ones I got recently at Walmart that was leaking where the valve screwed into the tank (so much for inspecting the tanks).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 3:14pm
Tars Tarkas.  Totally agree with your post.  Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:23am
Got an empty one recently refilled at Costco for $6.25 appox.  So even if not completely filled it's a great price.
Also, even though the Pod has a low-pressure adaptor for a grill, I'll likely get a WeberQ and throw an extra tank in the back of the truck for the grill.  Then if/when the Pod tank runs out while camping I'll have a back-up to just switch out.
Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:47pm
TT,totally agree convenience Trumps running out of propane while camping,I got a second tank so I could just fill one when I had the chance. A full tank lasts longer than a 3/4 full tank,this way I don't have to deal with it so often.To me that's convenient,and I save a few bucks.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:37pm
I used an exchange tank once, never again, after hooking the tank up, it only took about an hour and my fridge burner was clogged. There was some crap in the tank.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:40pm
I understand the cost and quantity difference between tank exchanges and refills and if I determine that the convenience of swapping out a tank right now versus driving around for two hours looking for a place that will refill my tank when I'd prefer to spend those two hours enjoying my vacation, personally, I'm glad to pay a little bit for that convenience.  And I'll guarantee I can think of real world scenarios where I can swap a tank here, or I can drive 15 miles one way to have my tank refilled.  Where is the stewardship of the Creator's resources if I spend $15 or more in gasoline and wear and tear on my vehicle to save $5 or $6 on propane?

"Convenience stores" wouldn't exist if the only proper moral choice was to always pay the lowest possible price for a quart of milk.  Everyone would take an extra 45 minutes to 3 hours to drive to the best supermarket or warehouse store in the state to buy their milk there.

Again, I'm just saying there's more than one way to look at this.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:54pm
Both Costco and Camping World near me (and other places I have been) have a gauge and you pay for the amount pumped into the tank, not a flat rate. I am not talking about a tank exchange at Costco. They fill your tank while you watch. The same thing goes for Camping World. That means a partially filled tank can be topped off since the pump will show the amount added.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:50pm
Thanks Stephen.  I was told by a friend that Costco refills are the same as Blue Rhino's, only 75% of full, that is why their prices 'appear' attractive.  I am not aware of the status of Camping World and their refill policy.  The best way for anyone to find out is first to ask how much propane they are getting, either 3.6 gallons (75%) or 4.7 gallons (100%).  Secondly, weigh your "full" tank; a full tank will weigh around 37 pounds, give or take a few ounces depending on the TW (tare weight) which is stamped on the handle.  A Blue Rhino, Amerigas, Costco tank will only weigh about 32 pounds.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:41pm
It isn't just Blue Rhino. AmeriGas does the same thing. If you do a quick search for "Class Action Blue Rhino," you will see a number of web pages dealing with this. It was in 2008 that Blue Rhino and AmeriGas reduced the fill from 17 lbs to 15 lbs. The settlement for the class action that allowed for $7.50 per tank (if one had receipts) or $7.50 total if one did not have receipts closed in 2012. There is one filed in 2014 alleging price fixing between Blue Rhino and AmeriGas. I think that one is still active.

The thing that gets me is that we are "purchasing" a tank of gas. It isn't like a deposit that can be refunded. If we get an old tank that is going to need inspection and testing before it can be filled, then it pretty much has to go back to them. The last one I got was at least made relatively recently, so it will have several years before it will need to be tested and requalified. One of the tanks I saw the last time I did an exchange was dated 1999 and I did not see anything indicating that it had been requalified. I left that one alone.

The DOT web site has an interesting article on the topic of inspection and requalifiation.
Requalification Guidance for Propane Cylinders

I don't plan to go back for exchange anymore. Costco fills propane tanks for a very reasonable price. Camping World also has a discount for Good Sam members. There are alternatives that are much less expensive.

As for the "useless tank" with the old style connector, Blue Rhino will take that connector off and replace it with a new one with the overfill prevention device. Then they will fill it and "sell" it to Walmart or Lowe's who will in turn "sell" it to you if it passes inspection.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:39pm
Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>