R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy first time winterizing questions/problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
laureyrpod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first time winterizing questions/problems.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:17pm
I'm no expert but what I would do is refill your fresh water tank with a couple gallons. Then turn on the pump and repressurize the system. I have heard it isn't good to get air in your water pump. Not sure why though. Then re do your winterizing process and don't skip any steps. Next year I'm going to do away with the antifreeze and just blow it out. Atlanta doesn't stay cold for too long.  
Laurey, Bella and Bogie
2016 182g Rpod
2016 Toyota Highlander
"Peace in a Pod"
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:25pm
Hi Everyone
I am so thankful for this forum. I have had my new Rpod 178 about a month and have spent a lot of time trying to get up to speed on every thing. I am planning a big trip in a week or so from my home in southern Oregon to Joshua Tree. Being winter and having freezing weather I have not ran any water thru my pod leaving it winterized from the factory. I decided I did not want to do my trip without trying all the water operations before I got to my destination, in case something was wrong I wouldn't find out after getting there. So today I decided to hook up my pod to city water, try everything...check for leaks...then unhook from city water and fill the fresh water tank about 1/3 of the way and check that operation. Then as a result of having introduced water into my pod I planned on winterizing it (using compressed air method) for the experience and in case it freezes again before my trip south. I did find that my connection under the sink for the cold water faucet was leaking. I was able to tighten the connection with my hand giving it a good twist and stop that leak. All else went pretty uneventful in checking the water operation. I did fill the fresh water tank about 1/3 capacity (after unhooking my city connection), turned on the pump and got all that working fine. In the process I had also filled my hot water tank and verified that that indeed did heat the water as expected ( I did make sure that my bypass valves were open before hand). 

My next planned endeavor of winterizing left me confused and frustrated. 

So now I planned on winterizing with compressed air getting rid of all the water I had just introduced into my system. I had read a few different accounts of the compressed air method protocol and watched "moosepods" video on how to winterize with compressed air numerous times. In moosepod's video he does NOT bypass the hot water tank, whereas I did bypass it when running the compressed air.  I sat down and wrote out detailed notes of what to do in what order. So here is what I had planned on doing.

1) Make sure electric hot water switch near the anode rod is "off" .
2) Remove anode rod letting hot water tank drain. Remove all low points caps (mine has 2). Remove fresh water tank cap. Wait until all drains stop having water run out. 
3) Replace low point caps, anode rod and fresh water tank cap. 
4) Run water pump for a minute or so to purge it of residual water.

At this point I was going to go inside the pod and run the water pump as moose pod did next to purge the water pump of residual water. I FORGOT THIS STEP. 

5) Connect air compressor blow out plug to city water connection, setting compressor psi to 30 psi.
6) Run all faucets individually until they run free of any water or moisture (hot and cold on sink, outside shower, wetbath sink, wetbath shower, and finally toilet).

All of this went fine and I ended up getting all the faucets and toilet to run compressed air only coming out with no moisture. 

THEN I realized that I had not done step 4 of running the water pump to purge it of water. I figured that I would do that out of sequence and do it after what should have been the last step. I also knew that I would be reintroducing some water into the lines that I had just cleared out with the compressed air. 

This is where I had problems and am really confused. Although "moosepod's" video doesn't show it I assumed that when he ran his water pump with one faucet on that after a minute or so all the water stopped running out of the faucet from the water pump. I turned on my water pump with only the cold water faucet on on my kitchen sink...waiting for the sporadic water to stop running out the faucet. I would say I got a sporadic amount of water out of the faucet that kept running as long as I had the pump running. It just wouldn't stop shooting out the same volume of water (guessing about 1/8 as what would be normal). I finally realized that if I let the pump run 10 minutes nothing was going to change in the amount of water coming out of the faucet, so I turned the pump off quite confused wondering if the pump was picking up some water from the fresh water tank that had not completely drained out? 

I then decided to hook up the air compressor again and run it to purge the water that I had just created in the line from my previous fiasco with the water pump. Once I ran the compressor again and turned on the same cold water faucet in the sink I got a whole lot MORE water coming out via the compressed air on the faucet that I had completely ran 100% dry of water the first time I did it. 

Where the hell did this water come from?

How important is it to purge the water pump of residual water for winterization? 

I am pretty confused and frustrated. I feel like right now my Rpod is probably vulnerable to a good freeze and don't understand why when I ran the water pump after draining the fresh water tank that I still got a fair amount of water coming out (not a steady stream, but a fair amount) that just didn't want to subside, so I finally gave up. 

I would really appreciate any input pertaining to my entire SNAFU. 

Thanks, 

John

Post Reply Post Reply