R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt on 2" receiver - Event Date: 18 Feb 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Bolt on 2" receiver
    Posted: 24 Jul 2024 at 10:03am
Originally posted by gerry demers

will the Easystart help for a power pack made of a LIPO4 and a inverter for the AC?
It would have to be a very large battery pack and a high capacity inverter for that to happen. You might be able to start it, but don't count on it running very long unless you have the resources available to do so. If you have a clamp-on ammeter, check the power draw of the AC while it is starting and while it is running. That is, unless you find the manual and can look it up which is much easier.

There was a video from Gone With the Winns that detailed what they needed to do to get solar powered AC. It would take more panel space than is available in the RPod and a huge battery bank (yes, even LiFePO4) to get that to work for any length of time.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gerry demers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gerry demers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2024 at 7:50am
will the Easystart help for a power pack made of a LIPO4 and a inverter for the AC?
Gerry
r pod 192 2024
Toyota tacoma 2017
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 5:55pm
Recall all that Dahunter has a Highlander SUV tow vehicle. So, no running the Genny sitting on a tailgate, and weight is a real issue, as are gasoline fumes. Hence the recommendation for a smaller lighter propane generator.

Regardless of the brand a small under 3kw-ish generator won't run both the a/c and micro at the same time (not a big deal, just turn the a/c off for a few minutes while running the micro) but also might not start the a/c on a hot day (a big deal). It's the second or third start in a hot day that taxes the generator the most because the a/c compressor builds up back pressure when it runs and has the highest pressure differential to overcome when it's hot.

So you can always try it without the Easystart and then add it if the Genny labors too much starting the a/c. Just don't do that kind of laboring start too many times, it's not good for either one.

It's not a difficult DIY project to install the Easystart, takes maybe an hour at most. The install instructions are good, the Easystart folks are nice and helpful if you have questions. You can lay a piece of plywood on the roof to spread the load, set the stabilizing jacks, and you don't need to stand up on top to do it. If that doesn't appeal then you dont really need an RV shop to install it, pretty much anyone who can turn a screwdriver and connect a couple of wires up can do it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 3:32pm
Again I won't whole heartedly endorse but the GenMax has started my AC every time I have used it.... if it fails I will definitely let everyone know but it has worked with no issues.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:01am
Just remember that the lighter weight ones may not have the ability to start the AC reliably. You will definitely need to install a Micro-Air EasyStart on the AC in order to have a chance to get it to work. Also, on the web page, there is a bonding plug. You can build one very easily by purchasing a plug from your local big-box hardware store and connecting the ground and neutral (ground is usually green and is for the U shaped terminal and neutral which is usually a silver colored screw), leaving the brass color screw unconnected.  This is because most generators have a floating neutral. Circuit analyzers consider this a fault. Bonding the ground and neutral will satisfy the circuit analyzer.

This is one area where you don't want to cheap-out on the generator. You could consider getting a pair of smaller, lighter weight generators and running them in parallel. Then you would not have to lift so much at once, but still have the power available when you need it.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Dahuntsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dahuntsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 8:22am
I was also looking at the Genmax 3200, but I like the idea of carrying spare propane tanks than 5 gallon gas cans.

A 3rd model I was looking at is the Hudson Motors 3300 watt generator.

Weight is an important issue with me as I can't lift much. I was going to put that 160 lbs (with fuel) on the rack and never take it off. So I've been focusing on the under 50 lbs generators.
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 8:11am

I bought a GENMAX 3200-Watt Inverter Generator.  It is a made in China gen set but a large number of the gen sets are made in China.  It's running output is 2800 watts and so far has been able to run my AC with no easy start and it weighs 47.3 lbs which is why I bought it.  I rarely use a gen set so I figured it was worth taking a chance on and so far no issues.  I can't whole heartedly recommend it because I haven't used it enough.

lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 5:37am
We have a Champion 3100W duel fuel generator that we use with an Easy Start.  We use propane and it works fine.  It weighs just under 100 pounds and I've had no trouble lifting in and out of the back of our truck.  But if you have back issues, it'd probably be too heavy, unless you had a partner to help.  It's quiet enough that it could be run while sitting on in the bed of the truck with the camper shell/cap/topper open and the tailgate open.  If I had it to do over again, which I don't, I'd have bought a smaller duel fuel unit.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 5:15am
  We have a Champion generator that weighs about a hundred pounds to heavy for me to lift. The generator has wheels and I use ramps to load generator up into the truck then leave ramps at home. When operating generator I roll it onto the tailgate and point the exhaust out back of truck not to fill the fiberglass cap with exhaust fumes. If I were to buy another generator I would chose a lighter weight generator one that I could lift. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Dahuntsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dahuntsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:53am
Memories, memories, I haven't forgotten going out to the corals as a kid on my parents 10 acare ranch in Arizona putting feed in the animal feeders and breaking ice up in the water tubs on winter mornings. That was nearly 60 years ago.

I've decided to sell my current generator and getting one under 50 lbs. I've been looking at the Champion 2500 watt duel fuel. Long Long Honeymoon reviewed and tested it by powering the A/C and microwave in their Air Stream trailer with the generator powered by gas and propane. What got from their YouTube video is that it could power both, one at a time, but took several pulls of the starter cord when connected to propane before it started.

It's rated at 1800 watts normal and 2500 watts peak. I've run my R-Pod's A/C on a 15 amp connection and I don't have the easy start installed on my A/C. Had to turn the A/C off to us the microwave. Doing the math, 1800 watts at 120 volts is 15 amps. I would eventually get one of those devices installed on my A/C if I could find a place to do it without having to wait 6 or more weeks before they could do the work. I'm not about to get on the roof myself to do the install.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>