R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do I FIX this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I FIX this?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 6:59pm
Rather than trying to re secure the counter top to the wall (it looks from the pictures that it's actually the backsplash) and risk having the screws keep pulling out, with bigger and bigger screw holes left behind, how about staining and sealing some 1/4 round molding and glue it or screw it - maybe both - to the wall so that it rests on the top of the backsplash or counter top. That way if the wall or the counter top is flexing or moving some, each moves relatively independently of the other but they'd be close enough together to not leave a gap for stuff to fall in.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by texman

BTW-that mosquito spray tip should be somewhere in the tips and tricks if it isnt already.  That stuff is dangerous around plastic.

DO NOT store those little pump spray bottles of mosquito repellent in your vehicle door cubbies. If it leaks, and I know they eventually do, it will melt the interior door panels. Don't spray repellent near your open car doors either. AND NEVER apply spray repellent to your neck/head after putting your bicycle helmet on. Helmets don't like it.  Never mind how I learned all this, it wasn't from reading...Nuff said.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:24am
i think the screws are just fastening to the panel there.  I will try a stud finder to see if there is anything more sturdy there.  Has to be some studs there i would think.  And it is possible that something heavy could have been there, would not take that much weight if the screws are only in the panel. Ouch
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 8:52am
Not having a full picture and not knowing the construction, I would wonder if excess weight was placed on the counter top. Another thought is that the counter top looks straight and the wall looks like it has a little curve to it. The screws may have pulled the wall to the sink at one time, but stress of movement may have caused them to loosen. It may need some additional screws and/or anchors to provide more support to the screws than the wall alone can provide. Per Mike Carter's suggestion, Liquid Nails would help keep it together also.

Is there anything behind the wall panel into which the screws are fastened (wood or metal)? If it is just the panel, then some sort of anchor would definitely be helpful. I used some of these: Crown Bolt #6-32x1" Hollow Wall Anchors to fix the panel under the refrigerator that kept falling off. I used some moly bolts for a shelf, but they were a little too long and I wound up putting a hole in the side that I plugged. It reminds me that I can't go over 1" for a fastener.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
that is my concern, why did this happen?  The only incident back there was a can of mosquito spray that melted the hot water knob on the rear sink, it is still there and functional.  no other visible signs anywhere else.  I really think the counter was probably a bit short from mfg. and they "made it fit"  Then as the temp stresses occur it has pulled loose. I am skeptical that using bigger screws will hold in the long run.  I am thinking a thin piece of HDPE for the gap, bigger screws and caulk is my solution.  I think i can get some of the conical auger type anchors in the old holes maybe, the ones for the sheetrock anchors is what i am referring to. 

BTW-that mosquito spray tip should be somewhere in the tips and tricks if it isnt already.  That stuff is dangerous around plastic.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 7:02pm
It appears to me as though the counter top has pulled away from the wall. the caulking that is on the wall, and "used" to be touching the countertop would make me wonder why. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:55pm
I would pull the screws - spread the gap and apply Liquid Nails to the space, apply pressure, replace screws with slightly longer ones, do not over torque and let the glue set. Liquid Nails is NOT a caulk.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 1:47pm
it is all the way across the starboard side.  Glue and screw and caulk is all i can come up with.  It isn't a big deal, just ugly and could get a bit of splash from the sink .

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 12:01pm
You might consider using some caulk on the mating surfaces to act as a glue in addition to the screw.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:21am
Is it like that all the way across?

I would try new screws in a spot a little to the left or right. It is possible the screw went in, pulled the panel tight, but was then over torqued and stripped.

If moving the screw(s) and torquing by hand works to pull the wall panel up to the sink mold, then I would run a bead of caulk all the way around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>