R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle Hitch Height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle Hitch Height
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:33pm
Having the trailer level is best. Having some amount of rear tow vehicle sag is OK. I would allow a little trailer tongue drop is you can't find a tow bar that's "just right".

If your tow vehicle wanders like puppy and is hard to keep in a straight line (and the trailer isn't swaying) then you need to get a WD hitch setup to get the weight distributed to the front end of your tow vehicle. There are a lot of variables.

After installing your safety chains, the breakaway switch cable must be connected to the hitch chain loop, independent of the safety chains, never intertwined in the chains and free from obstruction. If it's just too darn long, make it shorter, but not so short it could yank out in a turn or going over a large dip int he road. Leave a little extra.

If your safety chains are dragging or really close to the road, get some links cut out. Don't make them too short, they should have some droop.

For the breakaway torpedo, if  you have catastrophe while towing and the chains break, the coupling breaks, the tow ball breaks, whichever, if the breakaway plastic torpedo is pulled , it will connect your trailer brakes directly to your 12 volt battery and slow the trailer down so doesn't run away into someones house.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:38pm
Not dumb. First I don't believe it should be entwined in the safety chains. It should not be attached to any part of the removable parts of the hitch. Thirdly it should be a bit shorter than the safety chains, so that when, the safety chains deploy and reach their limit the ebrake switch is enabled. I attach mine to the TV frame, I loop it or tie knots in it to get that length that is shorter, a bit, than the safety chains. What you want to be careful of is you don't make it so short, that on a hard turn it pulls the cable, otherwise your trailer brakes are locked and you're speeding on your way. Bad juju for trailer brakes and drums, can catch fire. I have made mounting points on TV for that cable alone.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:17pm
another dumb question-what is the safety disconnect for the brakes supposed to latch to?  mine is just attached to safety chain.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:49pm
texman,

Good question and I bet you get a lot of answers.    I was taught to level trailer - measure tongue height, then add 3 inches and that is ball height (top of the ball), which means trailer is level. However that will be offset by spring loads of vehicle and the tongue weight of the trailer. Then depending upon the drop by weight, the WDH discussion starts. If the weight of the trailer doesn't cause rear spring loading, level is probably best place to start and that means getting right ball height. One thing I would say is that if you want to shorten your safety chains, twist them, using the coupler hook, they will shorten as you twist, rather than strap them up and leave them long.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
What is the recommended height of the hitch in relation to the pod.  In other words, should the pod be level while towing or tongue slightly lower than level, or other.  Since i added the lift kit, the tongue is lower than level and I have noticed some additional movement while towing, that may just be wind.  The tongue is low enough that i use straps to suspend the safety chains so they wont drag.

Thanks
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply