R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother battery/charging sytstem question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another battery/charging sytstem question.
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 11:45am
Update: I ordered a replacement WF8955MBA converter from Amazon and had it delivered to a friend who was going to be coming to Vermont with the rest of the team. It was delivered to him, and he brought it with him. We received it and I installed it. It started operating as soon as I made the connections and turned my battery cut-off switch back on and then flipped the 120V breaker back on. It had some work to do as the batteries were somewhat low even though the panel lights still indicated "Good" for the level. The voltmeter told the real story.

Now that we are home, I have contacted WFCO and submitted the form to get an RGA number so this defective unit can be shipped back for evaluation and replacement. Once that is done, the defective unit should be replaced as it is still under warranty. That replacement will become a spare in case this happens again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:07am
The charger I bought brought the battery up to 100%. We are dry camping now at Emerald Lake State Park in Vermont. If need be, I will hook up the generator's 12V connection and charge the battery that way since there is no 110V power here. We will see if we can go until Friday without needing to charge. Lights, vent fan, and my CPAP will be the main power draws unless it gets chilly and I want to run the heater to take the chill off. I don't think it will be cold enough to bring out the Mr. Heater Portable.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by furpod

If you want to verify the charger/converter is working, disconnect the battery. Installing a battery disconnect makes this simple.. but if you disconnect, while hooked up to shore power, and still have 12v.. it's working. 

Thank you. Mine has started working intermittently. It was not charging while we were at my sister's house. Later, I checked and it was charging. Today, it is exhibiting the same symptoms. The voltage is reading 12.4 while we are plugged in to shore power. I used the battery cut-off switch, and everything 12V quit.
I think I am going to order a replacement converter and have it shipped to where we will be next week. In the meantime, I will try to figure out a way to keep the batteries charged up until we get to where the replacement will be waiting.

When my converter stopped working i just bought a small battery charger and plugged it in when i had shore power, Did this for three weeks, we were traveling every other day so my TV kept it charged the rest of the time.
John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by StephenH

The PD models I saw when I looked on Amazon were deck mount, not drop-in replacement to fit the WFCO panel. Is there one that fits in place of the WFCO converter?

The one I linked above...

Inteli-Power 55 Amp Converter/Charger
Model #PD4655V replaces these converter sections:
Parallax/Magnatek #6355, Parallax #7355, Parallax #7155,
Parallax #8355, WFCO™ #8955

On Amazon

But deck mount isn't a big issue, I used a deck mount in furpod.. it mounted to the slide out tray, had to drill one hole, and I cut the back off the power center with a dremel, no big deal.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:18am
I had installed a volt meter. That is how I knew it was not working. I confirmed it when I turned my battery cut-off switch and everything cut off. No 12V power was being supplied. All the connections were tight. I have a WFCO 55A replacement on order. It will be delivered to our pastor and he will bring it with him when the rest of the mission trip team leaves home. We will meet him in Vermont and I will install it there.

The PD models I saw when I looked on Amazon were deck mount, not drop-in replacement to fit the WFCO panel. Is there one that fits in place of the WFCO converter?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 9:10pm
Agreed. If you have to replace the converter go Progressive Dynamics. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:37pm
I did.. it was a better one because among other things, it was a four stage charger and conditioner. They are a couple hundred bucks. I used one I had bought for another project TT.

There is a pretty simple test of the charger converter, plugged in to shore power, just go in the 12v side of the panel and check voltage right there on the board, +13v means the converter is working.

WFCO did have a run of bad converter/chargers, many 2015-16 owners have had to have a replacement, a few have needed a second..  Unhappy and at least one owner I know of is on a 3RD.. Angry

If replacing on your dime, I highly suggest the 55A version of this.. Amazon is showing $216 today..

Best one out there IMHO..
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 12:12pm
I've spent hundreds of dollars on batteries and starters in the past only to find out that a ground wire need to be taken off, wire brushed, and put back on.  Expensive lessons, hard learned, although it almost happened to me again recently. My tractor wouldn't start.  I'd checked the ends of about 7 wires and was pretty sure I needed a new solenoid.  I was putting away my tools to go to the parts store when I realized there was one more terminal I needed to clean. The devil on my shoulder was telling me, "what are the odds?  1 out of 8... just go get the new solenoid." I listened to the angel on my other shoulder and Bingo!, that was it. 

You need to check both ends of all wires.  You're going to have to disconnect at least one end of them anyway to replace the converter/charger.  Familiarize yourself with the job by doing a dry run, cleaning connections as you go.

I don't know what it is, but there must be a way to check the converter/charger with a volt ohm meter  at the unit itself.  As far as testing for continuity, a corroded connection may let enough current through to indicate a closed circuit but not enough to do anything else.  I think you'd need to check for proper voltage at the output of the unit.

How much does a new converter/charger cost anyway?  It seems like someone (Furpod?) said he'd replaced his with something better.  Whoever that was, if you read this, what was it, why was it better, and what did it cost?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 10:53am
After all the work you had done, I am still inclined to believe that something came loose, or similar. If you have a DVM, I would check continuity between the converter output and the battery.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 7:04am
It seems to have gone from intermittent to full failure. I bought a Schumacher SC4 15A charger / 3A maintainer from Walmart and have it connected. The charge state now is about 75% according to the charger.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>