R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPowering my R-pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powering my R-pod
    Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:02pm
ok, a 2000 watt inverter-generator is a different animal than a 2000 watt inverter.  Just be prepared for the generator to not run the A/C, especially at higher altitude and higher temperature.

One 20 pound propane tank will run the fridge for 30 days if nothing else uses propane.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
We have a group 27 battery in our pod and dry camp in the mountains here in Idaho. Running the heater about 30 minutes a day, water pump and charging dumb phones, battery can go 6 days or so. One can just hook up the tow vehicle to the pod to charge up battery. Single propane bottle lasts about 12 days camping in the mountains. Check out Stanley Idaho some time. IMO it is more beautiful and no crowds and lots of free dry camping.

enjoy the fresh air
tsherv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:05am
Thanks for all of the responses!

A couple of clarifications:

1) I'm buying a 2,000 watt gas powered inverter / generator (maybe a Champion) to be able to recharge the battery of my camper, be able to run the microwave, and a coffee pot. Most of the campgrounds we are going to allows you to run a generator during daylight hours. Almost none of the sites we have reserved have electricity.

2) Right now I only have 1 propane tank and 1 battery.

My main concern is the 3 nights we are staying in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone...no electricity and no generators.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:07am
Here's my opinion:

1. Normal use of a battery depends on what you are planning to use that draws power from it. Since you know you are going to be going up to 3 nights with no power, you could do two things. The first, and more expensive option is to use solar panels to recharge the battery during the day. The second, and less expensive option is to do like I did and substitute two-6V GC2 deep cycle batteries (wired in series to give you 12V) in place of the single 12V battery. This will give you a lot more ampere-hours, and should cover your needs.

2. If you want your battery/batteries (even dual-6V) to last longer than 4 or 5 hours, you should run the refrigerator on propane, even while towing. I know this from personal experience. I only made that mistake once. Most vehicles do not supply enough power to both run the refrigerator and charge the battery/batteries.

3. Days? Think weeks. The refrigerator uses very little propane. Even using the stove occasionally and perhaps the furnace, you are still looking at weeks. We were in our R-Pod this past winter in single-digit temperatures. We went through a lot of propane and even then, the tank lasted a few days.

4. If you are not on shore power (and thus, not using the television), make sure the antenna booster is off. That will eliminate one power waster. Run the Fantastic Fan on low if you need to use it. Better yet, get a stand-alone fan such as the RoadPro or O2 Cool fan which can run on 8-D cell batteries or on 12V power. These use very little power and can help provide some ventilation if needed without using the R-Pod's battery. We have had the RoadPro. It looks like it has been updated to a 5-blade fan which should work better than the 3-blade fan that ours has.

Why an inverter? What are you wanting to run that would require 120V power? Consider whether you need it or if there is a 12V option that would work for you. I run a CPAP machine on 12V power. I could have gotten an inverter, but that would be converting 12V to 120V only to convert it back to 12V with all the inefficiency involved. It is better to run it directly off 12V if possible. If the R-Pod does not already have them installed, consider installing 12V and USB outlets. That would eliminate the need for an inverter to charge cell phones.

Yellowstone is a trip my wife and I would like to make. We are planning that for summer 2018 as this year's travel time is already committed. I hope we can get our daughters to be able to meet us there with their families also. I think that would be great.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:07am
I have a 2014 R-pod 179. This summer we will be camping for almost 3 weeks in the Yellowstone / Grand Teton area. This camper is new to us and I have some questions about powering the R-pod. Some of the places we are camping do not have electricity and do not allow generators. We will be camping at most 3 nights in a row with no power / generators. Here are some questions I have:

1) how many days of "normal use" should I expect a fully charged battery to last (I know there are a lot of variables in that question)?  

2) When I don't have power, should I be running the refridgerator off of propane or battery?

3) How many days should I expect a propane tank to last running the refridgerator, occasionally the stove, and maybe occasionally the furnace (June in Yellowstone)?

Anyone have any pointers? I'm planning on buying a 2,000 watt inverter for the other camping areas.

1.  What is your battery setup?  Single, dual, 6 or 12v.  Do you have a solar panel for recharge?
2. Run Frig on propane, battery for a few minutes at the most. 
3. Do you have a single or dual propane tanks?  A full single tank should get you by for that long easily.
4 . That is a HUGE inverter.  I have a 300 watt w/ 600w peak.  I dont think you want anything larger than 500 watts in the pod.  What are you planning to run from the inverter?
5. you should have LED lights Correct? 
Your plan is very achievable.  How many in the camping party?  Water may be your biggest concern if it isnt available. 

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:35am
Never run your fridge off the battery unless your hooked to a running vehicle, you should be able to run on propane for weeks. The things that will drain Your battery faster would be your fantastic fan and your heater fan.your water heater won't use much electricity either.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
tsherv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:19am
I have a 2014 R-pod 179. This summer we will be camping for almost 3 weeks in the Yellowstone / Grand Teton area. This camper is new to us and I have some questions about powering the R-pod. Some of the places we are camping do not have electricity and do not allow generators. We will be camping at most 3 nights in a row with no power / generators. Here are some questions I have:

1) how many days of "normal use" should I expect a fully charged battery to last (I know there are a lot of variables in that question)?

2) When I don't have power, should I be running the refridgerator off of propane or battery?

3) How many days should I expect a propane tank to last running the refridgerator, occasionally the stove, and maybe occasionally the furnace (June in Yellowstone)?

Anyone have any pointers? I'm planning on buying a 2,000 watt inverter for the other camping areas.
 Post Reply Post Reply