R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTake Nothing for Granted...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Take Nothing for Granted...
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:34am
i torque as tight as humanly possible then tighten a second nut on it to lock it down
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm
Great reminder.  In fact after reading that I took my Reece hitch to work to see if it was a bit loose.  I took our 5 ft. pipe wrench and put the hitch in the vise.  Not able to move it at all, guess it is still tight after 6 years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:37pm
[That sounds like a lot of whatnot to get a nut tight! Reef on it with a big wrench and weld the nut. This also will act as a deterrent for thieves of the ever tryed to steal your trailer. ]

I like that!!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Rustler

That's a good reminder to have the attachments torqued to manufacturer's specs. Lacking a proper high capacity torque wrench, I have made a poor man's torque wrench by putting a long "cheater bar" on a regular breaker bar and socket. So with a 5 foot long bar and and a 86 lb. pull you'll get 430 foot-lbs. of torque (86 x 5 = 430). Just measure the pull on the end of the cheater bar with a 100-lb. capacity spring scale. Pull on the support end of the scale until the scale reads 86 lbs. and you'll get the required torque. It may require having some help to hold everything in place on the nut while you are pulling on the scale.
While you might take the hitch part to a dealer to have them torque the nut, how many will really have a torque wrench capable of measuring 430 foot-lbs. They'll just get it as tight as possible as say it's done to specs. 
[/QUOTE]

I use the same method but, not as scientific. Last time, I tightened until the rear wheels of the truck began scooting sideways on the asphalt. My watching neighbor agreed that it was probably tight enough!   

Who was it that said: "Give me a lever long enough and I will move.....the back of a pickup truck"???
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:44pm
That sounds like a lot of whatnot to get a nut tight! Reef on it with a big wrench and weld the nut. This also will act as a deterrent for thieves if they ever tryed to steal your trailer.
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Also hope you had a large enough torque wrench to torque it to manufacturer's specifications. For example, the ball on the Equal-i-zer hitch we have needs to be torqued to 430 ft-lbs with the bolts that hold the head to the shank requiring 300-350 ft-lbs. See http://www.equalizerhitch.com/Equal-i-zer%20Support/faqs.php for more details. I don't know the brand of hitch, but please refer to the manufacturer's specifications, whatever the brand.

That's a good reminder to have the attachments torqued to manufacturer's specs. Lacking a proper high capacity torque wrench, I have made a poor man's torque wrench by putting a long "cheater bar" on a regular breaker bar and socket. So with a 5 foot long bar and and a 86 lb. pull you'll get 430 foot-lbs. of torque (86 x 5 = 430). Just measure the pull on the end of the cheater bar with a 100-lb. capacity spring scale. Pull on the support end of the scale until the scale reads 86 lbs. and you'll get the required torque. It may require having some help to hold everything in place on the nut while you are pulling on the scale.

While you might take the hitch part to a dealer to have them torque the nut, how many will really have a torque wrench capable of measuring 430 foot-lbs. They'll just get it as tight as possible as say it's done to specs. 
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:39pm
Also hope you had a large enough torque wrench to torque it to manufacturer's specifications. For example, the ball on the Equal-i-zer hitch we have needs to be torqued to 430 ft-lbs with the bolts that hold the head to the shank requiring 300-350 ft-lbs. See http://www.equalizerhitch.com/Equal-i-zer%20Support/faqs.php for more details. I don't know the brand of hitch, but please refer to the manufacturer's specifications, whatever the brand.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:12pm
 Hope you applied some thread locker before re tightening. RED thread locker would do it.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:31am
Great tip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:24am
Just coincidently, as I exchanged my regular hitch for the load distributing one in preparation for a trip, I noticed that the hitch ball would rotate pretty freely in my hand.  Wow!  what a potential disaster in the making!  A couple of big wrenches solved the problem in a minute, but it could have been hours of frustration or worse.

Be careful out there...
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
 Post Reply Post Reply