R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTekonsha P3 Brake controller questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tekonsha P3 Brake controller questions
    Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:16pm
Thanks.  The putting car in drive idea did the trick.  had to go up to 7.5 to stop but no problems driving the 100 miles over hills to bring the rpod home
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:29am
They have electric brakes. That is what the wires going into the backside of your drums do. The P3 should be level side to side and pointed in the direction of travel. etrailer and you tube have some excellent videos of install, and the install manual is good too. Interestingly I have 2-P3s in two different vehicle and the settings are different. The method I use for initial setting, is to have rig on level surface, put the TV in drive, the rig will move forward. Starting at 6.5, I increase brake, and use manual brake on P3, until the TV in drive will not move the trailer forward. So the trailer brake is holding the rig. Works for me. I don't use the 20 mph, apply P3 brake and lock tires up method.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:08am
After waiting and researching RVs for over three years (the RPOD 180 wasn't even born yet) we finally pick up our 180 tomorrow!!! Cannot believe the day has arrived.  We installed a P3 brake controller and I have some questions.  What type of brakes does the 180 have?  Electric or hydraulic?  What brake level do you set yours?  (I know that this is an individual thing for your TV and has to be tested but would be nice to know what others use so that if I am way off I can test again).  Lastly how important is it for the unit being level?  Can it be slightly off?  Although I used a level, after screwing it in under the dash it just touches the outside level line.  Is this good enough?  Thanks for your help  
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply