R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPump Not Priming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pump Not Priming
    Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:44pm
HAPPY
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
troutpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:31pm
Hey All,  Thanks for the help. I discovered I had to screw back in the hot water tank plug plus open the valve at the pump AND the two valves into and out of hot water tank also needed to be open,  On the job learning I suppose!  All is functional now and yes the hot water tank is also full now.  All that's left is to hit the road in search of trout
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:21pm
I had a similar problem The pump just takes a loooong time to prime. I thought my pump was bad. Close all hot water faucets and open only one cold faucet. If you have the winterizing valve and hose you may be able to elevate the end and squirt some water down into it to aid priming. Close it as soon as the pump is primed. Otherwise just let it run. It can take  10+ minutes. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:46am
Is the hot water tank full?
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:32am
I may be misunderstanding your issue-but the pump will only pump water from the on board water tank.  If you are hooked up with a hose to a city water connection, the pump will not work.  the water is being pressurized by the city water system .  Try putting 5 gallons in the on board storage tank and then try the pump again.
Certainly the valves need to be in the correct position (non-winterizing anti-freeze pumping position) as noted.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:13am
I encountered something along same lines after bringing Pod out of winterization. The pump just kept running. For more than a few minutes. What I did was go the valve with hose on it by pump, the one you use to put pink stuff in for winter. Either put that hose in water or open it a bit and cover the hose with your thumb. It creates suction. I did that several times, closing the valve to normal position at end of each cycle. The pump primed. Before that I did ensure I had no leaks.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:03am
If you have easy access to your pump (mine is the Flojet) you can remove the water line from the output side of the pump by pulling out the water line retainer. You them stuff a big towel down in the area to absorb the water when it comes out. The towel works better for me in my 177 because I have no room to put a bucket. You may have a small filter on the input side of the pump and stuff can plug it up.

Failure to Prime - Motor operates, but no pump discharge
Restricted intake or discharge line
Air leak in intake line
Debris in pump
Punctured pump diaphragm (pump leaks)
Crack in pump housing

Flojet 03526144
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:01am
There's a tube with a valve on it at the pump.  Make sure that valve is closed, and the filter screen is on tight.  That tube is for filling the system with antifreeze.
Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
troutpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:39am
Hello  Fellow Podders... Our first time posting since we just bought a 179 Hood River last summer.  The question.  Just picked the Pod up from winter storage and flushed winter anti freeze from the lines and filled the H20 tank. BUT, the pump does not seem to be priming. Only getting sputtering and mostly air from the faucets. I did hook up the hose to the city water connection and with the pressurized water from the city connect, the all the faucets flowed fine. Switched back to the water pump,, nada. I can hear the pump running but its not as loud as when it ran fine last summer.   Am I missing a step that I was supposed to do to upon start up after winterizing? I had the POD winterized at a local RV place before storage. They are closed for a few days otherwise I would have called them/  Tips anyone

Thanks
TroutPodder 
Wood River Valley, ID
 Post Reply Post Reply