R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExcessive Consdensation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excessive Consdensation
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:08pm
We have 2 roof vents because I special ordered our 177 back in January 2011 to come w/o A/C.  They put in another roof vent to take the place where the hole was left open because there was no A/C unit to fill it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by rawest50

Had the same problem with condensation on the windows glass. I will definitely try slightly opening the vent. It was closed.

That should help quite a bit. One thing to consider is that as the temperature goes down, relative humidity goes up. When the temperature reaches the dew point, you have condensation. That is one reason to run the furnace in cold weather. It lowers the relative humidity and keeps the temperature above the dew point. Windows, being cold surfaces allow moisture to condense. Opening the vent also allows some moisture to escape. The air coming in is heated, and the relative humidity of that air becomes less.
It takes energy to heat the air, but burning some propane to both keep warm and keep the humidity down is not a bad use.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:35pm
Had the same problem with condensation on the windows glass. I will definitely try slightly opening the vent. It was closed.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
AlamedaPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:25am
Thanks everyone for the responses -- looks like we are not alone in experiencing excessive condensation. Not sure what to do when we are dry camping though - we always have the windows and vent cracked open and we are not cooking or showering or doing anything else when we are sleeping.Smile which is the only time it seems to happen.  Maybe we can try putting on the propane heater for awhile before we go to bed but we are thinking this probably happens very early morning which is usually the coldest part of the day. We did buy some DampRid and are looking into a battery operated fan.

Some of you said you have 2 vents on the roof -- how did you do that? The dealer/repair shop said they would not do it because of the curvature of the roof. 
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:52pm
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:52pm
Indeed Tars, you are absolutely correct.  We normally boondock and have to use the propane furnace during the cold nights, between that and 2 people inside, a lot of moisture is given off, hence a combination of ceiling vents and at least a window or two open 1/2" OR more will be necessary to reduce the amount of condensation.  We have noticed over the 6 years we have had our 177 that when we do camp at a place where electricity is available and we use our electric heater, there is a marked reduction in the amount of condensation.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:30pm
I've seen that kind of condensation under similar circumstances.  Ventilation is the cure.  Crack a window and leave the fan on low or at least leave the vent open a fair bit.  Pods are almost hermetically sealed if you don't open them up a bit.  Two people will exhale and otherwise put out a good bit of moisture that will end up on your walls and windows if you don't let it out.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 5:08pm
Interesting, I use a small electric heater, set at around 60 degrees, I crack the roof vent and turn the fan on low, been in the cold - no condensation, only difference I was sole occupant.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:14pm

You may want to use the furnace a wee bit in those cold conditions.

When cold, I set my thermostat to about 60F and leave the bathroom vent/fan open about 1/2".

Humans put off quite a bit of water vapor. Try warming the air and (thus) surfaces, along with a better opportunity for air exchanges.   
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:52pm
I'm with Forest River on this one, this seems very odd.  I regularly stay in my 180 at temperatures below freezing in the spring and fall and the only time I've had excessive condensation, though not to this extent, was when I forgot to crack the roof vent.  I do not crack my windows and I do not run my vent fan.

I heat with electric heaters to a comfortable level and while I do not carry water at these temps, I do shower at facilities and have my towel and washrag hanging in the bathroom to dry over night.  The water to condense has to be coming from somewhere and for it to be that much, it sounds as if it's not just from breathing during sleep.  That would be the first thing I would give serious thought... where is the water vapor coming from?

Also, at those temperatures, I'd recommend using the heat with the roof vent slightly open as the rising warm air will help evacuate the water vapor.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>