R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExcessive Condensation 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AlamedaPodder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excessive Condensation 2
    Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:23am
Thanks everyone for the responses -- looks like we are not alone in experiencing excessive condensation. Not sure what to do when we are dry camping though - we always have the windows and vent cracked open and we are not cooking or showering or doing anything else when we are sleeping.Smile which is the only time it seems to happen.  Maybe we can try putting on the propane heater for awhile before we go to bed but we are thinking this probably happens very early morning which is usually the coldest part of the day. We did buy some DampRid and are looking into a battery operated fan.

Some of you said you have 2 vents on the roof -- how did you do that? The dealer/repair shop said they would not do it because of the curvature of the roof. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:30am
One question to ask is what sources of humidity are contributing so much moisture that you have this problem? One source is our bodies, both from breathing and through our skin. Another source would be the gas stove if you are using it for cooking. Water and CO2 are byproducts of the combustion. If you are using a gas heater like a Mr. Buddy or catalytic heater, that adds significant moisture to the air. The built-in furnace does not add humidity since combustion byproducts are vented outside. Using the shower, and even doing dishes adds yet more moisture to the air.

Some of this can't be avoided (breathing, for example). Some can. If you have shore power, you could use an induction cooktop instead of the stove, or just cook outside. Showers can be taken at a bathouse if you are at a campground. If you need to use the shower, squeegee the water from the walls or wipe with a towel and hang it outside to dry. Use of windows and vent fan help to remove moisture. If you can minimize the amount you are adding, then the amount of venting needed will be less.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by jato

The hardest decision is when the temps get really cold, say below 40, with the wind blowing and the question is, how much do I want to heat the outdoors and how much condensation am I willing to put up with?

Exactly right.

The bad thing about condensation is that the water builds up in the narrow track at the bottom of the window. If it freezes and expands, nothing good can happen to the window, so I've tried to minimize condensation but unsuccessfully so far and have had to resort to regularly sopping it up with a towel, unless I leave the rpod so wide open it might as well not have a heater. 

I'm afraid some condensation is just something we have to put up with.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:39pm
[QUOTE=furpod]Why would you need a "second vent fan"?

Just leave the one there cracked open a bit. Pods are small spaces, they need to air out, no matter what time of year, to avoid condensation.

That is an issue we deal with often as we often camp when it is colder.  Sometimes we get by with a couple windows open about 1/2'" each, opposite each other, other times we need to open both vents on the ceiling (we don't have A/C) as well as both or more windows.  The hardest decision is when the temps get really cold, say below 40, with the wind blowing and the question is, how much do I want to heat the outdoors and how much condensation am I willing to put up with?  Experience will dictate how many windows/ vents to open and how far those windows will be open and at the same time being able to remain warm and dry inside the pod.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:37pm
Why would you need a "second vent fan"?

Just leave the one there cracked open a bit. Pods are small spaces, they need to air out, no matter what time of year, to avoid condensation.

And yes, an awning was not available for that year model, so there is no backer in the wall for an awning. Owners have done it on their own, but a dealer, and FR won't.
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:03pm
I have a self-serving solution to offer on the awning.  Some folks have put sack awnings on the Pods.  My used Pod came with a sack awning that had never been out of the box.  I'm an r-dome person so I have it listed for sale in the "Flea Market" section of this forum, dated Dec 24, 2016.  Check it out.  Shipping to CA would run about $80 I would guess.

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
AlamedaPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:18am
We took our 180 to a dealer to see if we could put in a second vent fan in the bathroom. They told us it could not be done because of the curved roof. So that is not an option.

The dealer also told us they could not install an awning on this model (2016 180) because there is no roof rail and it would not be safe.  Looking for options here also. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply