R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedON THE ROAD SCENERIO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ON THE ROAD SCENERIO
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:22pm
Most small LCD and LED television use less than 50 watts at 120 volts.

If using a dc/ac inverter , it would still use 50 watts (or less) plus a little more because of the inverter. About 4.2 amps. That is not a high load. You wouldn't be leaving the TV on all night anyway. 

I had 2 - 12V batteries, 85AH capacity (each) if I remember correctly.. I had installed a small 400 watt inverter, and it ran all my 120 volts needs (phone charger, very infrequent TV use) no problems for 3-4 day weekend trips and always had power to spare. I installed the second battery because I discovered the furnace is a battery killer. A year later, I bought a MrHeater portable propane unit. Solved all powerproblems related to furnace by not needing it anymore.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:39pm
The TV that came with our 179 runs on 120 AC. I would not try to run it on a battery/inverter; it takes a lot of power to pump all the BS.
Life is good.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:58pm
You can get a little multimeter at Walmart for probably less than $10.  You have to access the battery or a hot and ground point in the fuse panel. Others are talking about a hardwired volt meter, which is nice and also inexpensive but sounds like it might be beyond what you're ready to do at this point. 

You should be okay for one night if you start out good and you're getting a decent charge from your tow vehicle during the day's driving.  As mentioned, do NOT run the fridge on the 12v option.  Ever.  There is really no good excuse for the 12v option.  Use propane if you don't have shore power.

If you don't care about running the air con or microwave, any little generator will charge your battery if you can run it for a couple of hours.

Worst case, and I mean after checking the battery at the Walmart auto service area, you can buy a new battery at Walmart.  I'm not an expert on batteries, but with a new battery, you'll know what you have and you can get what you want.  Switching to two batteries, either 12v or 6v, is not something easily done on the road, but a new deep cycle 12 v battery will get you through many single nights without shore power.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:46pm
 Henry,
 Just got back from a coast to coast and back 26 day trip. We stayed on BLM land 5 times (free), cracker barrel 2 twice and state visitor center parking lots twice, And a few nights on a farm, all without shore power. To much activity at wall mart for us and some can not let you stay the night due to city or county issues.
We used our fantastic fan all night every night on 1, (white noise snoring issue), and use at least one light til we turn in and watched TV news and such when we had reception and a few DVD's when we didn't. No issues with power, we have 2 - 12v G24 batteries. We can go three nights with no issues under these conditions. My truck charges the batteries while we travel and 4 hours of driving will give us a full charge when we stop. Get one of these 12v meters off Ebay ($7) and you will know how your doing. 
Rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:07pm
+1 to John, great source. Many of us have installed USB chargers and 12 volt gauges at various locations depending upon RPod type. They come in handy. I have a 12 volt outlet, USB port and a voltmeter mounted in the Pod. I can look at it and tell battery charge status. You can do it manually, but why? I have a 178, so my location was in the panel below the front right hand side dinette. I can see it and use it from the door. The panels are readily available on line and it takes basic wiring skills to install. Happy Trails.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:39pm
If you want to get some knowledge about batteries, get a book from Amazon -- 12 Volt Bible for boaters - about $15.  It starts at square one and teaches you about things such as marine batteries, wiring size and how to use a volt meter, among other things.  Boats and RVs are very similar.
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:42am
How do I get (and use) a voltage monitor? Also, would a bigger, or better battery eliminate any risk? Or two batteries? I'm sure the battery on now is the factory one and looks good. What is a marine battery? I know there are other posts on here about batteries, but I'm still not clear.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:38am
Hey HenryV,

See you didn't mention fridge, it should be on propane. The fan I think would be next big draw. TV and lights determined by use. With a little power management the next day should be fine. Everything needs to be good at start, can't have a half charged battery to begin with. I also have a voltage monitor, so if I see an issue with low battery I can start the tow vehicle and produce a charge. Monitoring and having tools to monitor are the key. One other thing - when you turn off TV, turn off the ant power amp.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:07am
Say you're on a trip, or journey across America. You decide to pull in a Walmart and spend the night. (Something I've done and I believe Walmart encourages it)..but this was with a Jayco camper)...Question: Now, if I use the lights, TV, and Fantastic Fan...am I going to have a battery problem when I leave in the morning??
 Post Reply Post Reply