R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Issues
    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 3:12pm
I have encountered a weird issue while trying to winterize my model 172 R-Pod for the first time. I was using the compressed air method. After draining the drain plugs, hot water heater, and fresh water tank, I closed the drain plugs and replaced the anode rod. I hooked up the compressor, set the pressure to 35psi, and turned it on.
I opened the kitchen faucets. After expelling a little water, they stopped expelling anything, including NO AIR coming out of either the cold or hot. Opening the hot and cold faucets at the indoor and outdoor showers, as well as the toilet, water is expelled, followed by a constant stream of air as expected. With all faucets closed, the compressor reaches pressure and turns off. Again, no air comes out of the sink when I open the faucets, but does come out at all the other faucets. Called the dealer and the factory. Everyone just as confused as I was. Anybody have any suggestions?  
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 4:17pm
What air pressure were you using? You could have blown off a hose. When I blow out my lines I drop the pressure to 20-30 PSI, some say 10-20 PSI. Water does not compress like air so you must be careful when pressuring your plumbing with air. I hold my air hose up to the fitting and only let a little in and then pull it away then do it again. I also make sure the sinks have the hot and cold open so I don't build up to much pressure
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
mabajian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 4:36pm
I am using 35 psi. I think if I had blown a hose off, the compress would never reach shut off, which it does, and stays off until I open one of the other faucets.
Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:22am
Is it possible that something blew into your kitchen sink faucet and plugged it up?? Perhaps it plugged up just the small screen at the faucets end ?
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 4:12pm
Another reason I prefer to use the Antifreeze.... 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:34pm
I think Jasp is onto a reasonable probable cause.  I have used compressed air on my 177 for 5 years and the pressure is 60 psi, have never encountered any problems at this pressure and as I have stated in earlier posts, takes about 1 minute to go through both sinks, shower and water closet.  I do always keep one line open so pressure does not build up too high.  My brother got me started on this method as he has done it this way for over 10 years now, same pressure, no issues.

I did go the antifreeze route the first year I owned our pod in 2011.  After using about a dozen different formulas to get that nasty taste out of the lines, as we use it for drinking water as well, I said never again will I use antifreeze, and I haven't.  This way is much quicker, more efficient, and a lot cheaper; I use about 1 pint of antifreeze each time I winterize the 3 traps (2 sinks and 1 shower).
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mabajian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:30am
Am going to take a look at it again next weekend, and let you know what I find. Hard part will be finding the water pump. Will try to connect it to some antifreeze and see if that pumps through to the kitchen faucet.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:39am
Take off the aerator before you try anything else.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mabajian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:54am
What and where is the aerator?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 8:09am
The aerator is the little filter thingy screwed on to the end of the faucet.  It's what the water finally leaves the faucet from.  It's got several screens in it to catch debris.  It's not uncommon for it to totally clog.  I leave mine off, so I don't get that soft stream of air-filled water, but I do get water.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>