R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtraveling with a cat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: traveling with a cat
    Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 12:57pm
We just bought a 179 and are planning to put the cat box in the cabinet next to the fridge. I know, gross, but I clean it often. I just wondered if anyone else has come up with a better location/modification? We will probably have to take the shelf out.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm
We have a small litter box we keep on the floor next to the bed. I just have to be aware it's there when I get up so I don't step in it (so far, so good). With three cats, it has to be scooped often, but the cats don't have any trouble using it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00943VE5Y/

We've discussed removing the bottom two drawers below the wardrobe and putting it there, but we hate to give up the storage space.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by TheBum

We have a small litter box we keep on the floor next to the bed. I just have to be aware it's there when I get up so I don't step in it (so far, so good). With three cats, it has to be scooped often, but the cats don't have any trouble using it.

Good Lord how do you keep all those cats corralled? LOL

I have a hard time keeping one little Eskimo Spitz in check and telling the wife no you can't take the Bengal cat with us! Tongue
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
PodBarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:37pm
I was planning to put the litter box in the shower (pod 171) and leave door open or cut cat door.  I can put plastic underneath.  Another cat question - how do you correctly dispose of the used litter?? Just starting out, so will see how it all works.
2017 RPod 171
2017 Kia Sorento SX
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Originally posted by TheBum

Good Lord how do you keep all those cats corralled? LOLI have a hard time keeping one little Eskimo Spitz in check and telling the wife no you can't take the Bengal cat with us! Tongue

We have a gate spanning the space between the pantry and counter. They can still go over it, but it slows them down. Fortunately, they're not too hard to convince to stay inside; they're used to being indoor cats at home.

We do have to make sure we cover up any bare skin while sitting at the dinette or else we'll get scratched as they tear back and forth.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by PodBarb

I was planning to put the litter box in the shower (pod 171) and leave door open or cut cat door.  I can put plastic underneath.  Another cat question - how do you correctly dispose of the used litter?? Just starting out, so will see how it all works.

We keep a supply of plastic grocery bags and use them to scoop the clumped litter into. Then the bag goes in the trash.
PodBarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 3:43pm
As a follow-up, I created two compartments out of the entry side dinette seat (171) with two hinged lids.  I added a 1x2 rectangular support where the complete lid was cut into 2/3 and 1/3 sized lids.  Added a fabric screen to separate the two compartments.  One holds litter bags, scooper and litter box and the other a container of food and a tray with three bowls, dry, wet, water.  I cut out the dinette side facing other side with about an 8x7" entrance for litter and a full opening except to cover frame fro food. Worked for me and cat.  I put a small solar light in litter area for evening.  
2017 RPod 171
2017 Kia Sorento SX
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:41pm
Have you checked out the forum "camping with pets"?
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:55pm
This thread is worthless without pics!
2018 R-Pod 180
PodBarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:57pm
Will do the pictures in the proper forum! Thanks.
2017 RPod 171
2017 Kia Sorento SX
 Post Reply Post Reply