R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter problem?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:39pm
2017 Rpod 180 about 11 months old. 3 weeks before warranty expires. I carefully monitor the batteries (2) with a permanent voltmeter and 90 percent of the time it reads 13.6 volt the absorption rate from what I read. Today after a long drive hooked up 30 amp power at a campground and everything good with air conditioner and appliances. However the volts are reading 12.5 volts on meter and Indepemdant voltmeter taken from distribution panel. I presume just battery power. Checked CBs recycled everything obviously getting 30 amps because Air is working. Seems to me a converter gone bad. I have read about problems with these. I have enough battery power for brakes to get home which is good. Any recommendations for an easy replacement. Does it sound like a bad converter. Any suggestions what to try.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 7:34pm
2017 R Pod 180 here.  Went thru 2 WFCO converters.  Kept the camp trip going each time by using a battery charger as a temporary converter.  The converter is for 12 volt part of your electrical system only.  Not the 110 volt, air conditioner, water heater, etc.  You can replace with another WFCO converter or upgrade to a Progressive Dynamics cnverter, which is what I just finished doing. I am not extremely mechanical, and have earned the nickname  "Joe mechanic" but I took my time and did this replacement by myself, with the help of Furpod on this forum.  I strongly recommend the upgrade. EVEN IF you are still under warranty.
Also, your R Pod battery does not provide power to your trailer brakes.  Your tow vehicle does.
Best if luck
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by flat6s

Also, your R Pod battery does not provide power to your trailer brakes.  Your tow vehicle does.

One small correction: The battery is needed to supply power to the brakes if the hitch fails and the trailer becomes separated from the TV. When the pin is pulled by the safety cable, the battery powers the brakes to stop the trailer. That is one reason the cable should be slightly shorter than the length of the chains is so that it will pull the pin and activate the brakes, even if the umbilical should become disconnected.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:57pm
Excellent thank you. Figuring this all out slowly. I have a battery disconnect switch and need that on for the break away to work. I took a look at the wiring on the converter some look like easy access and some look challenging. Any recommendations and does amp power rating make a difference on an upgraded converter.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:04pm
The stock converter is 55A. I would not go with a lower rating.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply