R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti theft devices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti theft devices
    Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:23pm
Where all you folks camp is theft really that big a problem?  Out west in NV and CA, at least in the north end, it just doesn't seem to be that big a deal.  I use a padlock on the ball locking device, as much for safety as security, and wrapped a chain around the two battery boxes and the gas tank with a couple of locks, but it is more for appearance than actual security.  A bold cutter would go through the chain in a millisecond.  The padlock on the hitch ball lock might take a couple minutes to cut.  But, then most of our trips are to Sierra Nevada campgrounds where anyone can pretty much steal anything he or she wants just wandering through a camp ground.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 7:41am
It's not so much an issue while camping, though I do know of at least a couple trailers that have come up missing from remote campgrounds. Most trailer thefts happen while in storage, or from the owners driveway. It's not a problem for Pods, any more then any other marque. Vintage campers come up missing more often then they should. We have seen many reports of vintage Airstreams coming up missing over in our VAS group.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:18am
Thanks furpod.  I guess where we live, it's a little more like the days before crystal meth and oxycodone where you don't need to fasten everything down.  Most of our neighbors who have trailers store them in the driveways and, sometimes on the street, if they have space.  And the storage places around these parts are filled with RV's.  Maybe there are so many, that it's not worth the bother to steal stuff from them.  

We're lucky in that we have a big side yard behind a gate.  I just squeeze the pod through the gate and she sits at the side of the house behind a gate.  I leave the tanks and batteries secured because there's no point in taking the locks off and I keep the padlock on the ball locking mechanism because I don't want to forget where I put it when I need it.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
I don't think it is a problem locally. When we were in Savannah, Georgia, the boy scouts had their trailer with all their camping gear stolen. We donated most of our tenting gear to help them recover from that theft. We had gotten to the point where we were no longer able to deal with tent camping easily anyway. When I wanted to get a camping trailer, I decided that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Thus, I decided to put locks on things, not to stop a determined thief, but to make it less convenient and hopefully, deter the casual thief.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by lostagain

Where all you folks camp is theft really that big a problem?  ... anyone can pretty much steal anything he or she wants just wandering through a camp ground.  

R-Pods are NOT an attractive 'target' for thieves, not expensive enough. 

However, we just got back from a trip to an out of the way spot. When we arrived at mid-day, there was only one big trailer already there, whose owners were obviously out and probably gone for the day, and also a small car filled with people slowly going thru the campground. After we set up, after awhile the same car came thru slowly, again, watching us as they went by. I called the cops. I am sure we interrupted a pass-by 'smash and grab' break-in of the fancy trailer.

So, re hitch locks, ... 'An ounce of prevention' ... or ... 'Better safe than sorry'
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 1:30pm
Yes, locks, cables, chains and such deter the lazy thief, but someone who is determined to take your stuff will not be stopped by locks.  

Sounds like Happy did the right thing calling the cops on suspicious activity.  Even standing there watching them, especially with a cell phone obviously in hand, can help dissuade a thief.  In some communities the police have the resources to respond to suspicious activity calls while others, they just don't have the manpower and won't go unless there is someone bleeding.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 6:19pm
Can't disagree with see something, say something. Lot of police stuff has to do with jurisdiction. Where I live, the city police will not respond, the county sheriff will. I'm not worried about stealing the Pod, there are no chop shops for travel trailers, to my knowledge. They will steal grab and go items like your BBQ grill or fishing poles or a portable generator, because it is easy to pawn or sell. Saying that I do lock my cargo trailers, they do steal those because it's easy and hard to trace. I learned in gun license class, that I can't defend theft on my property because I am not in in imminent danger. Because of my background I have a tendency to watch people, without profiling.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
RobnCari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:27am
Ball locks, remove the wheels, chain the axle to a large tree or post. Personally I just use the ball lock. Maybe I'll do more when I get my brand new R-Pod next month. And it will be stored at home.
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD AC
2018 RP 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12