Topic ClosedShare an r-pod story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Share an r-pod story
    Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 11:55am

I have an interesting story (maybe a bit long) that I want to share and thought I’d start this discussion topic for others to join in if they want to.  With all of the registered users on this forum there has to be a lot of interesting or funny stories we’d all enjoy reading.

Last weekend was our final trip for the season and we camped in northern Michigan along the Lake Huron shoreline.  Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day.  Sunny, temps in the 70’s with leaves softly falling from the trees.  Monday, our day to head back home, was just the opposite.  Woke up to rain and it rained all day long.  So we packed everything up, wet, and headed home.

So, 25 or 30 miles down the road along Lake Huron I’m finally in the driving groove.  Have the car on cruise control, listening to some tunes and the pod is tracking great when this car starts to pass me in the passing lane.  Kinda strange in that it went by us very slowly but finally pulled out in front and moved along.  Though the driver of the car would speed up then slow down and speed up again.  Pretty annoying driving for the next few miles.

All of a sudden the car that passed us turned on the emergency flashers.  I shut off the cruise control and slowed down looking for any problems up ahead and saw absolutely nothing.  Then the emergency flashers went off, then on again and off once more.  What the heck is going on up there?

Once again the emergency flashers went on and a hand came out of the drivers side window pointing to the side of the road.  Crap!  OK, now you have my attention.  Is a tire flat?  Did we leave the door open? What the hecks wrong?

I followed the car into a gas station and stopped beside him.  Jumped out and immediately started inspecting the pod for trouble when the driver came over and apologized for flagging us off of the road.  He said that no, there was nothing wrong with the trailer that he could see but he simply loves it and knew that he’d regret it if he didn’t stop me and ask some questions about it.  Is that trailer called an rpad?  Thanks again for stopping.  Hope you’re not mad.

I thought, you flagged me off of the road in this rain just to get a tour of the trailer?  Are you crazy?  Though the whole thing was pretty annoying I was just so relieved that I didn’t have a flat tire or was dragging something that I told him, no, it’s called an r-pod.  Figured since I’m already stopped I’d go ahead and give him r-pod pitch.

Told him about the different models.  Suggested that he go to the Forest River site to see the various floor plans.  Gave him the web address for this forum to read up on what folks think about the r-pod.  Mentioned about the other clones.  Pretty much gave him a verbal versus walking tour and off he went down the road.

So to Jim near Tawas City, if in fact you are lurking here on this forum, no I’m not mad.  I thought it was a bit humorous actually.  Though I do have to tell you that my wife was a bit put out over the whole thing.  When she went into the station looking like she was going to use the restroom what she actually did was make sure the attendant there saw you and was ready to call the police just in case you turned out to be some sort of crazed killer. LOL

Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:25am
We were in that area around Oct. 10 with our pod visiting a friend of my wife from college. Beautiful places to stay, especially off season. No one flagged us down but still got some attention. 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:44am
LOL Good story! Haven’t had that happen yet, buy have given lots of tours while on the road.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 12:59pm
Good story!

I was recently filling up at interstate rest stop noting the monster Fleetwood Class A parked nearby with a Tacoma toad loaded with kayaks and bikes. Heckuva rig! Well, the door opened and out walked the owner. I wasn't sure what to make of it when he walked straight towards me. "Best looking camper I've seen", he said. A tour/discussion ensued...at the pump. Ya just never know.

My little pod seemed to tow even better than usual the rest of the way home. I think it copped an attitude!!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 1:25pm
  I was at a rest area in Tennessee and there was a tour bus with tourist from Australia. They unloaded and a group headed towards our r-pod and started gathering around taking group pictures including our r-pod. They were campers back home and started telling me stories of their caravans back home. They were fellow campers happy to greet a american camper.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 1:43pm
I had a vehicle follow me this morning. I was leaving our camp area, and i was turning into a parking lot to stop for a moment. i noticed a car driving by do a u turn pull into the parking lot, and start coming behind me. As i got out of the vehicle, they pulled up, rolled down the window, and immediately started asking "pod" questions. I answered questions, told them to be careful of the " knockoffs" that jayco and others make, and began to take my dog for a quick walk. As i walked away, they stayed there for a minute, looking, writing, and taking pictures. I'm starting to get used to this now. I used to get so many gawkers for my tongue mount bike bunk. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:14pm
We get comments and questions about our 179 just about everywhere we stop. At one gas station, a guy came up and we started talking. He asked me if it could be pulled by a Camaro. I told him that the Camaro probably doesn't have the towing capacity necessary, but it has plenty of engine for it.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:26pm
i remember the good ole days when just about any car could pull a trailer 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 5:50pm
That was in the day when almost all cars were rear wheel drive.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:59pm
We've had lots of compliments on our 180 but so far, thankfully nothing like Jim & Clare experienced in this thread OP. Great story! 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply