R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Axle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Axle
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm

I had a new Lippert torsion axle installed on my trailer last month. When I drove to Oregon in August I had a bearing go out. When I got home I inspected the axle and decided to replace it. I have wanted to upgrade for some time because I had the inside tire wear problem from the camber going out of the axle. I had a local trailer company, Pac West Trailer in North Highlands, California do the work. The new axle cost $900, I also had to get 3 new rims at $45 each. The old axle was rated at 3500 pounds and the new one is rated at 4771 pounds. The new axle has 12” drums with 6 bolt on 5.5” centers (that’s why I need new rims). The old brakes were 10” drums. The old axle had Easy Lube Hubs and the Self Adjusting Brakes. Pac West does not recommend the easy lube hubs or self-adjusting brakes. I always had to back off the adjusters when I pulled the drums off my old axle. It’s very easy to adjust trailer brakes and I don’t have to worry about putting in too much grease. The old axle came positioned in what Lippert calls the Diamond tube, and the new one is square to the frame. Old axle was zero degree angle and the new one is 10 degree up. I wanted to achieve a little more clearance so this gave me almost an inch more height. I love my BF Goodrich all terrain T/A KO2 tires and didn’t want to go any larger. I took the trailer on a 350 mile trip to the cost in October and it towed great. I do not have a sway bar or load levers. It took about 6 weeks for the axle to arrive at the shop once the order was placed.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:30pm
I have thought about an axle swap, the only question I have is if now you have the same weight pod on a 4700 lb axle does it make it stiffer? Meaning less movement and more bounce?
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
I could tell no difference from inside the truck while towing. I would think the trailer ride may be harsher, but at this time I only have the one trip to judge it on. It could be the trailer feels the same bounce when it is loaded because the old axle was close to its limit and so when compressed it had very little rotational movement left to absorb the shock. The new axle is far from it so the spring component of the rubber at that point is softer.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:09pm
What is the model number of the axle you ordered?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:37pm
My new axle is built from Lippert 5,200-LB torshion axle. The first number in the part number is LCI52-4771 which Lippert told me means "Requested to be 5200# though from the dimensions it is only rated at 4771#". The old axle number was LCI35 which means "3500# axle".
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:42pm
That makes sense,as you do have more travel. I put heavy duty leaf springs on my work trailer and empty it bounces all over but full it feels the same, but then I overload it. How much lift did you get in the pod? I would love to get just two more inches of height, and the risers give 3, I'm trying to avoid a double step.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

RobnCari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by JandL

I had a new Lippert torsion axle installed on my trailer last month. When I drove to Oregon in August I had a bearing go out. When I got home I inspected the axle and decided to replace it. I have wanted to upgrade for some time because I had the inside tire wear problem from the camber going out of the axle. I had a local trailer company, Pac West Trailer in North Highlands, California do the work. The new axle cost $900, I also had to get 3 new rims at $45 each. The old axle was rated at 3500 pounds and the new one is rated at 4771 pounds. The new axle has 12” drums with 6 bolt on 5.5” centers (that’s why I need new rims). The old brakes were 10” drums. The old axle had Easy Lube Hubs and the Self Adjusting Brakes. Pac West does not recommend the easy lube hubs or self-adjusting brakes. I always had to back off the adjusters when I pulled the drums off my old axle. It’s very easy to adjust trailer brakes and I don’t have to worry about putting in too much grease. The old axle came positioned in what Lippert calls the Diamond tube, and the new one is square to the frame. Old axle was zero degree angle and the new one is 10 degree up. I wanted to achieve a little more clearance so this gave me almost an inch more height. I love my BF Goodrich all terrain T/A KO2 tires and didn’t want to go any larger. I took the trailer on a 350 mile trip to the cost in October and it towed great. I do not have a sway bar or load levers. It took about 6 weeks for the axle to arrive at the shop once the order was placed.
Does the new (heavier) axle raise the pods GVWR? How about cargo weight rating?
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD AC
2018 RP 179
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:33pm
The trailer is almost 1" higher off the ground with the new axle. I didn't want any more than that because I was afraid it might affect how it tows (It tows great). The Forest River trailer engineering department calculates the GVWR of the trailer, so I will go by the information from the sticker on the side of my trailer and not exceed it. On my trailer the GVWR is 3745 lbs. The 3 times when I took my trailer in to have it weighed (3440 lbs., 3280 lbs., 3420 lbs.) before a big trip, it did not exceed that rating or the GAWR of 3500 lbs. My axle at some point in its life lost its camber so the tires were wearing on the inside at a fast rate. My new axle will not have that failure.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply