R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBedding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedding
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm
On a side subject dealing with the bed. I have found sheets are very important. In our 179 if the inside person has to get up for whatever reason it is hard to scoot and move on the sheet over the foam. I bought a set of slick Satan sheets to see if that helps when getting in and out of bed. Slide out of bed.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:54pm
Our situation of camping is going to be a big learning curve. The 182 gives me options of sleeping arrangements. Queen when we want it and single (twins) as we move around (1 night stay).
For the most part I see the twins being used. Not having to setup and breakdown. If we stay in a spot for a week, then setup.

So that adds to my dilemma of mattress choices. 

I see, so far, some sort of air base with foam over like we have at home. Have a feeling we will be making our own sheets to work. I also see velcro somewhere in the mix.. LOL
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
Inexpensive sleeping bags work well and the top sheet doesn't get untucked.  One can even zip two together fora double.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by john in idaho

Inexpensive sleeping bags work well and the top sheet doesn't get untucked.  One can even zip two together fora double.

That's hilarious! We were just talking about that!

We still have the old Coleman bags we use as a comforter for guests during the winter season on the inflatable. We were just talking about how good they would be as a pillow top to an air mattress. 

Way to funny how you mentioned this..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:55pm
I have two vintage Coleman bags, do exactly that, SWEET.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:30am
Custom cut foam comes in different densities from super firm to very soft.  The thickness matters, especially with softer foams because you can bottom out.  Some other advantages to custom cut foam:  It fits in the space better. It's way less costly.  Good quality foam lasts for many years. It's light weight and it's easy to move around.  Rawest50's concern can be solved easily by making a dust cover for the foam.  If you can't do it yourself, your local sewing shop can knock one out for you [we've made several in our shop for RVs]. The cover allows sheets to slide just fine.  If you wrap the foam in a sheet of batting, it can have a more plush feel to it.  The cover can easily be removed [be sure to put a long zipper in it] for washing.  

And, yes, sleeping bags work great if it's not too hot.  We use two old sleeping bags zipped together that I had on my sail boat for years and sewed two standard sheets together to fit inside.  If you sew sheets together sew the sides up a little less than half way to have ease of getting in and out.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by lostagain

Custom cut foam comes in different densities from super firm to very soft.  The thickness matters, especially with softer foams because you can bottom out.  Some other advantages to custom cut foam:  It fits in the space better. It's way less costly.  Good quality foam lasts for many years. It's light weight and it's easy to move around.  Rawest50's concern can be solved easily by making a dust cover for the foam.  If you can't do it yourself, your local sewing shop can knock one out for you [we've made several in our shop for RVs]. The cover allows sheets to slide just fine.  If you wrap the foam in a sheet of batting, it can have a more plush feel to it.  The cover can easily be removed [be sure to put a long zipper in it] for washing.  
And, yes, sleeping bags work great if it's not too hot.  We use two old sleeping bags zipped together that I had on my sail boat for years and sewed two standard sheets together to fit inside.  If you sew sheets together sew the sides up a little less than half way to have ease of getting in and out.  

I wanted to just use our sleeping bags but the ruler of the house said she wanted sheets. Now the problem is getting the fitted sheets on the bed. The to far corners are a bear to get on.   

Thanks for the info on the on the dust cover. If the satin sheets do not work I will look into the cover.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by rawest50

I wanted to just use our sleeping bags but the ruler of the house said she wanted sheets. Now the problem is getting the fitted sheets on the bed. The to far corners are a bear to get on.   

My wife modified a set of sheets to help with making the bed. She sewed the bottom edges of the fitted and top sheets together and sewed elastic straps across the corners of the fitted sheet.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:11pm
When it's too hot for the sleeping bags, we put a modified fitted sheet on our foam mattress, over a modified regular mattress pad, and a flat sheet on top.  If it's a little tool cool for just a sheet, we add a light blanket.  Since the foam is cut to fit the space, all stays in place pretty well.  The foam is easy to lift at the corners and edges to put on the mattress pad and sheets.  

On the fitted sheet and pad we use these little garter like straps that you can buy in the bedding section of places like Target and Walmart, similar to the function described by TheBum.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:14pm
Wow! Lots of info! Thanks folks!

You all have added in some new ideas we hadn't thought of yet! Well, and a few more questions we're going through.. LOL

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>