R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter question
    Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:32pm
I am looking into using an inverter to be able to use to run some electrical things like a coffee maker, in the morning, so i dont need to run a generator at 7 a.m.. I'm looking at this unit on camping world. "Elite Pro 400W Pure Sine Power Inverter" ........1st, will this work on a small k cup maker? or a toaster?  television? How do these things hook up to the pod? can it plug into one of the usb charge ports? or does it need wiring. I figure i can use the genny to charge the battery once it gets later in the day when noise isnt as disturbing. Im going to buy a honda EU2000i as my charging genny. I assume this works ok. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:48pm
Whether it will run something or not depends on the power required by the device. Things like a toaster or coffee maker "might" be near the limit. Just check the amps and/or watts required to run the device.

The inverter can potentially pull a lot of power from your batter(y/ies). A 400 watt load will draw over 30 amps from your battery bank, so the wire to connect it will be relatively large. So watch out.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:32pm
A 400w inverter won't touch a toaster or a coffee maker, or most anything that creates heat.  You'd need at least a 1500 watt inverter, and that would have to be wired straight to the battery with wire about the size of a garden hose.  And it would suck the juice out of the battery pretty quick.  You might get a cup of coffee and a piece of toast.  (I don't know -- I'm probably exaggerating a little.)  There's a reason you don't see 12v toasters or coffee makers.  They just use too much power.  Actually, I have seen a 12v coffee maker, but it had to run straight off the battery.  It would blow a 15 or 20 amp auto fuse in less than a second.

No, it won't come close to running off a USB port.

We have a manual k-cup coffee maker.  No wires of any kind.  Put the k-cup in, pour hot water in the top, and manually squeeze the water through the k-cup.  Works great.  We got it a WalMart a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen them since.   We do have one of the small Keurig's for when we have shore power too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:30am
I was guessing the wattage of a toaster or coffee maker.

Turns out I was wrong. Our toaster (4-slice model) burns 1800 watts.That would be a 150 amp pull on your batteries. I'm calling that a no go. If were a 2-slice model, it might be ~~ 900 watts, but that's still 75 amps. No go also. If one existed, you might get a 1-slice toaster to operate at 450 watts, but even that would be substantial. I've never seen such a thing (1-slice toaster).

Even our coffee maker is 1100 watts. Out of the ballpark.

We make our morning coffee with a Melita 1-cup pour-over cone. We heat the water in a tea pot. Works great, and uses no electricity.

There's a reason the microwave/convection oven in many R-pods is AC only.
bp
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 12:32pm
So what about the EU2000I Honda genny. sounds like it will barely run the coffee maker or toaster. Would the inverter (400W) run the factory television, the 24 inch jensen? I will find another option to make coffee. The manual press sounds great, but if i can find one. I can make breakfast on the grill with a square griddle top i have, but i was hoping for the genny to be my recharger only. I do intend to get either one honda genny, or i might just get the companion set to power the the camper fully. I dont mind using the genny during the day, my concern is the early morning. Maybe the honda runs quiet enough to run in the morning? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

So what about the EU2000I Honda genny. sounds like it will barely run the coffee maker or toaster. Would the inverter (400W) run the factory television, the 24 inch jensen? I will find another option to make coffee. The manual press sounds great, but if i can find one. I can make breakfast on the grill with a square griddle top i have, but i was hoping for the genny to be my recharger only. I do intend to get either one honda genny, or i might just get the companion set to power the the camper fully. I dont mind using the genny during the day, my concern is the early morning. Maybe the honda runs quiet enough to run in the morning? 
Well the giant 4-slice toaster we use at home would probably be out of place in an R-pod anyway. Figure ~~ 900 watts for a more "normal" 2-slice toaster. You could probably also shop around for toasters/coffee makers that are more energy efficient.

Modern televisions do not use a lot of power. I would guess that most 24-inch and under TVs are going to use less than 100 watts. That said, there ARE 12V televisions on the market that might be even more efficient.

I would poke around to see what you can find that serves your need and stays as energy efficient as possible.
bp
adventurelust View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:26pm
Here's a link to an article that might be of interest. http://trailertraveler.net/calculate-rv-amp-usage/

Jim 
"Eighty percent of success is showing up" Woody Allen
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 5:05pm
Actually, the manual k-cup coffee maker was an easy find. Great tip, i'll add that to my list. I am trying to end the expensive camping cost of the 60 - 70 dollar a day campground, by going to state parks that are very cheap, but, have no hookups. I figure the difference of 70 a day, versus 20 a day, should pay for the various items i'll need to be self reliant, before to long. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Actually, the manual k-cup coffee maker was an easy find. Great tip, i'll add that to my list. I am trying to end the expensive camping cost of the 60 - 70 dollar a day campground, by going to state parks that are very cheap, but, have no hookups. I figure the difference of 70 a day, versus 20 a day, should pay for the various items i'll need to be self reliant, before to long. 

Many state parks have W/E sites for cheap.. In fact I just made a reservation for a state park in South Carolina next month, 70 foot pull through, W/E, $18 a night. We stay at O'Bannon Woods in southern Indiana every year for a week or so, electric only, for about the same, very nice facilities.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 3:12pm
WOW!! The best i have found in massachusetts so far is 17.00 a night, no utilities. I need to venture further out.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>