R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwinterizing in eastern NC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: winterizing in eastern NC?
    Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 8:32pm
We're newbies to RVing and R-Poding seems to be a great way to start.
Living in Eastern NC (New Bern) we do a modified winterizing to our catamaran, but any suggestions on winterizing our 179?
We did order a cover (seen in previous posts.)
Thanks for any help.
Jerry and Mal Harwood

Our pod previous owner named it "Airpod."

Jerry H
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:47am
Many videos that show you how to do it.... Just google Rpod winterization and it pretty much will walk you through it.
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:04pm
We're some hours west of you in Concord.  Just got our 179  this past March and winterized it a few weeks ago.  As was already mentioned, there are a few fellow podders who have graciously made videos on how to winterize the pod on Youtube.  There are a few checklist here on the forum.  Took me about an hour being my first time.  The hardest part is accessing the water pump and heater valves.  It's under the bed, under the thin plywood.  The big pieces are a little awkward to move around.  After that it's relatively easy.  Buy or borrow a 1-1/16" socket to remove the anode rod from the water heater and drain/rinse it.  You can either blow out the lines with compressed air and/or pump RV antifreeze through the system.  Not difficult.  

Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 5:47pm
Remember to release the pressure valve on the water heater before you try you take out the anode!Could surprise you if you forget!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 6:36am
Yep...found out the hard way.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:25am
We live in central NC and also have a 179.  I would definitely advise that you winterize your pod.  NC still has enough freezing weather that can damage the water system. It's not hard-just takes a little time.  Make sure you empty all of the water in the lines, first by using the onboard water pump and then with compressed air.  you can buy an inexpensive plastic fitting that will screw into the city water connection and connect a small compressor or bicycle pump to blow out the lines.  open the low point drains(all 4 of them). drain the water heater by removing the anode rod AFTER you release the water pressure as Charlie said.
We cover the pod and also spread several dryer sheets around to ward off any mice that may find their way in.  We also use a product called damp rid to keep the condensation levels down.  We have removed all food from the pod.
enjoy your pod
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Tracydr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 6:17pm
I’m glad somebody asked this.
I live in south central NC,more towards the east. I will be using the trailer once or twice a month all winter. Is there anything I can do so that I don’t need to winterize? I can plug it in,run the furnace,whatever. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:21pm
The problem is the tanks and water lines underneath are exposed and not insulated. Add to that the water pickup line from the fresh water tank is also. Running the furnace or running an electric heater would protect lines what is inside, but not what is underneath. That is why winterizing is needed. If you need to use the trailer, you could leave the fresh water system winterized and use a water carrier such as the 8 gallon Hydroller which you can find online or in Walmart to carry water inside. You can use RV antifreeze to flush #2 if needed. If the weather is expected to be above freezing, you can safely fill the tank or use the city water connection, but if it is expected to be below freezing for more than overnight, you need to winterize. If it hits the low 20's and teens for an extended period and there is no heat, you could damage lines inside and probably the valves in your sinks and toilets when they freeze.

Last winter, we did travel in below freezing temps by using a separate water carrier and using RV antifreeze to flush. It means no showers, but the large wash-up wipes such as those used in hospitals work for clean-ups. If you want a true 4-season camping trailer, be prepared to pay thousands more for it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:02am
Here is a Youtube video by one of the RPod members showing you how to winterize your RPod 179. He actually has the 179.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173ozyKAcqk
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
jerry H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:08pm
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. wE BLEW OUT THE LINES WITH COMPRESSED AIR
JERRY H