R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping Warm in an R-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping Warm in an R-pod
    Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:32pm
Hubs, Cooper and I are headed to Santa Rosa Beach, FL, for 10 days in February. During the time we will be there, the average low at night is about 38 degrees. We have never camped in weather that cold. We plan to take a small electric heater and/or run the furnace, and we have sleeping bags and comforters.

Should we also invest in a vent cushion and the reflectix material to put on the windows at night? Or this that overkill?

Average high during the day is about 65 degrees. Golf! ⛳️ 
Dog lover and camping enthusiast 🐶 ⛺️
2016 R-pod 179 and 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Beloved husband and a Labradoodle named “Cooper”
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:43pm
Small ceramic heater will do you just fine down into the teens. Open the FF vent just a half inch, and one window an 1/8th of an inch to prevent humidity issues. 
GoGirlKY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:57pm
Thanks! I have a small dehumidifier too, as recommended by pilotpodder!
Dog lover and camping enthusiast 🐶 ⛺️
2016 R-pod 179 and 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Beloved husband and a Labradoodle named “Cooper”
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:18am
Yeah 38 is nothing... Camp in the Rockies in the summer and it gets colder than that....
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:48am
Be thankful you're not going now...big ice storm hitting FL. Shocked
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:53am
We tried a vent cushion. I returned it because there wasn't enough depth to hold the cushion in place. OTOH, the reflectix in the windows is a great idea since the R-Pod's windows are single-pane. It will help. Also, they will work better than the stock blinds for cutting the light, making it easier to sleep.

Both an electric heater and the R-Pod's furnace do not contribute to humidity. However, we contribute with perspiration and breathing and activities like cooking also contribute. Having the vent and a window slightly open will help remove the excess humidity. Otherwise, you will find condensation dripping down your windows and your mattress and bedding will get quite damp. If you use a Mr. Heater Buddy or catalytic heater, these really contribute moisture as they turn propane into CO2 and H2O. Venting is needed for both ensuring you don't poison yourself with CO2 or turn your R-Pod into a giant sopping sponge.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:01am
I use the heat in the pod, on propane, it works great.  I set it at about 65 degrees so it's not to hot to snuggle under the blanket, And I dont want to create condensation in the camper. I leave the vent open an inch or more to provide good airflow. I've stayed in 25 - 30 degrees in total comfort. I assume you will have power since your thinking of a ceramic heater, but if not, you will need to charge the battery after 1 1/2 to 2 days as the blower runs frequently and draws the power down. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:38am
Well I have been down to 5F in my 179 with an electric heater and some supplemental heat from the propane furnace.   I think the propane could do that low of a temperature on its own.  I all ways leave the bathroom ceiling vent open a little bit to control condensation.   You can close the window blinds to cover the windows and help with insulation over the single pane windows. 
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:20pm
While boondocking at 20 degrees my furnace kicks on every 15 minutes and wakes me up.
While on shore power at 20 degrees I use a little ceramic heater and it runs on medium most of the night and keeps it at 62 with the fan vent cracked an inch.
I built the hot water heat exchanger that marwayne posted and now while boondocking I can keep it at 60 degrees all night. A 12 volt computer fan runs most of the night,(very quite) and I hear the hot water heater kick on about every 30 minutes, for about 5-10 minutes. The system uses about 1.2 watts with the fan and 12 volt pump. As near as I can tell it uses about 20% less propane than using the furnace. I really like this mod! The pictures are from before I insulated and strapped the pipes and finished things up.

rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:40pm
I like your hydronic heater. Where did you get your heater core, pump, and fan? Where did you place the pump? Did you connect it in to the thermostat somehow? With this, do you still use the furnace or is it only being used as a cold air return?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>