R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich dome / tent is best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which dome / tent is best
    Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:52am
I am looking for advise on which awning / tent to get for our new 176.

We have been looking around but can’t figure out if we should go with the R-Dome or the PahaQue R-Pod Trailer Side Tent.

We expect some of our camping to be in rainy weather. 

Those of you experienced with either one, both or an alternate tent, could you please share your thoughts, and advise. Any draw backs on either one, what you like or dislike, set up, quality....anything else you feel is worth mentioning that can help us make our choice.

Thanks for your help...
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 1:12pm
I don't think the RDome works on the new models....
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by riotkayak284

I don't think the RDome works on the new models....

The new models are built for a dome, OR an awning. If the OP's Pod doesn't have a factory awning, then it WILL have the keder track for a dome.

We personally think NOTHING beats the dome. But that's just us. Over the years we have seen or used pretty much everything offered by the after market, and many different DIY awnings.

Many owners have opted for a CLAM shelter, or one of the knock offs. We like our CLAM. You can't roll up the screen walls like the dome, but other then that (and the stuffiness it can cause in warm weather) The CLAM probably offers the most versatility. One of it's big pluses.. (and minuses depending on weather/situation) is that it isn't/doesn't, attach to the Pod.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 1:57pm
My opinion is probably slightly biased as i only have a dome, but, i have had an awning in the past. I absolutely hands down love the dome. I even put it up on a weekend stay most times. It takes no time at all. I won't use it when i'm late fall camping. I've sat in some totally drenching downpours in the dome, where we had water about an inch or two high flowing thru and sat in our zero grav loungers all cozy and dry. When ya get heavy rains especially, there is usually at least a little wind that blows it under the awning. The dome offers weather and bug protection from all angles. Oh btw incase i didnt mention it, i love the dome.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 3:16pm
Yeah...have to say the dome.....no doubt about it.  We use it all the time we're out unless we're travelling and only staying for a night.  It's pretty versatile as well because it can be a add-a-room or an awning with the front out and the sides rolled up.

+1 with the other dome comments.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
We have the r-dome and I made my own awning out of a 9x12 gray tarp and have used both and like them both. We did do some late fall camping in Minnesota and it rained on us and I only used the awning and it worked good. If we are at a spot longer then 2 days the dome works the best.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 3:59pm
I've had both the dome and a visor for the Pod, awning on my last Class C and Airstream. I gave the dome away, I didn't use it, I use the visor and like the fact it doesn't require any anchoring away from Pod. Awnings and the visor were easiest to take down in changing weather conditions.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
Another one biased toward the dome, that is all I have ever had so can't compare to the alternatives but even though it takes 15 minutes by myself to put up, it is well worth the effort if you plan on staying for a few days or more in one place.  Great room to get out of the elements and away from critters and insects.  Have used it since 2011, still in great condition.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by jato

Another one biased toward the dome ...  Have used it since 2011, still in great condition.

I love our dome, bought in 2015, BUT ours is definitely flimsy. My guess is that they cheapened the material sometime after 2011, unless it's just us. So ... maybe the Pahaque is the best alternative(?).
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:05pm
Last summer we had our first rip located along the channel that runs through the kedar.  The rip was about 4 inches long, could have been much worse but was caught in time.  I was the culprit, used to pulling it through the kedar by myself, got impatient and pulled too hard, causing the material to rip.  It ripped in an area where the material was triple thickness.  Fortunately my wife of 41 years came to the rescue (as always ! Big smile) got some fishing line out (50 # test i think) and hand stitched it shut.  Used it a couple times after that, once in a big storm that had some pretty impressive winds.  Her sewing job was stellar, the area fixed remained intact.  Our dome is blue and yellow, that is the only part i don't like about the dome, but that is because I am a "green and white" alumni from M.S.U.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>