R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich dome / tent is best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which dome / tent is best
    Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 10:57am
We really like our PahaQue awning.  Easy to setup and great shade.  Was not really interested in adding a room, was more interested in shade.  Have not really ever seen a rdome in action, so can't comment on comparison.  Both seem to do a great job.
Jeff

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Carl Render View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
paha Que's tent is hands down the winner. No contest. The "r-dome" isn't even made for R-pods, I think most people don't know that. Plus it's made in China and you get no choice of color. Mine was flimsy and a real pain to put up. Save yourself the trouble and go with the quality.
Carl Render View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:47pm
paha Que's tent is hands down the winner. No contest. The "r-dome" isn't even made for R-pods, I think most people don't know that. Plus it's made in China and you get no choice of color. Mine was flimsy and a real pain to put up. Save yourself the trouble and go with the quality.
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:34pm
My preference is an awning and a screen-room tent. The awning gives some shade and rain protection, while the screen tent can be placed where best while giving insect protection. Works well for us.
Life is good.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by jato

Last summer we had our first rip located along the channel that runs through the kedar.  ... I was the culprit, used to pulling it through the kedar by myself, got impatient and pulled too hard, causing the material to rip.  It ripped in an area where the material was triple thickness. 

I've been thinking about this. I also always put the r-dome up by myself and of course it will catch at times. Did you then pull it terribly strongly? If not, in a triply-sewn area, it shouldn't have torn. That's why it's triple-sewn, and that's what I mean by it's being 'flimsy'.

I wish the sides of the Pahaque were wider, and I wish there was no floor to it, but in my opinion the quality is clearly superior in the Pahaque. 
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Last summer we had our first rip located along the channel that runs through the kedar.  ... I was the culprit, used to pulling it through the kedar by myself, got impatient and pulled too hard, causing the material to rip.  It ripped in an area where the material was triple thickness. 

I've been thinking about this. I also always put the r-dome up by myself and of course it will catch at times. Did you then pull it terribly strongly? If not, in a triply-sewn area, it shouldn't have torn. That's why it's triple-sewn, and that's what I mean by it's being 'flimsy'.

Did it tear along the stitch lines? I know it's obvious but I'll mention it anyway, fabric quality is key since triple-stitched also means 3 rows of holes in the fabric. Where synthetic fabrics are made makes a big difference. For synthetic items that I make I sew only with U.S.A.-made synthetics because of the high quality. There's no real price difference and the longevity & other factors makes it more than worth it. It's likely that respected U.S.A. manufacturers are using U.S.A.-made synethics for their awnings & other products; for several reasons including that U.S.A.-made synthetic yardage is easily available. Canada may also have equally high synthetics-yardage manufacturing; just not familiar with it. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Live2Camp

Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Did it tear along the stitch lines? I know it's obvious but I'll mention it anyway, fabric quality is key since triple-stitched also means 3 rows of holes in the fabric. Where synthetic fabrics are made makes a big difference. For synthetic items that I make I sew only with U.S.A.-made synthetics because of the high quality. There's no real price difference and the longevity & other factors makes it more than worth it. It's likely that respected U.S.A. manufacturers are using U.S.A.-made synethics for their awnings & other products; for several reasons including that U.S.A.-made synthetic yardage is easily available. Canada may also have equally high synthetics-yardage manufacturing; just not familiar with it. 

Ok, I found pulling it thru to be a pain in the butt. I always stand on the right side of the keder rail, and i push the dome thru. I have little trouble this way. It's hard to rip it if your just pushing it. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 4:41pm
+1, always better to push and silicone spray rail, forcing things never works.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:26pm
In answer to the above question.  No it did not tear along the stitch lines.  Normally I push the rail through the kedar until it stops, about 3/4 of the way, then I go to the other side and pull it the rest of the way.  Normally, no issues however this time I was having a brain fart and pulled way to hard and the result was a "slice" that started 2" inside from the outside edge and since I pulled quite hard it sliced the material (hit a rough spot on the leading edge of the kedar rail) with the result looking like I took the fillet knife and sliced the material.  My wife took a piece of sail cloth and repaired my mess.  It has held up well since then, no more tears, and no more stupid pulling on my part.

I have been impressed with how well this has held up over the 7 years we have used it.  A few times it tried to take the pod for a ride as storms have suddenly come up over night-time, blown all stakes out of the ground with the result having the r-dome looking like a parasail either above or tight against the pod.  We have been very fortunate in that neither the dome or pod has suffered any significant damage.  The extent has only been some cosmetic damage on the clear coat finish due to either stakes or extension rods banging against the side as the wind caused the dome to act like a sail.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
North Star View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:27pm
Well, thanks everyone so far for all the replies. 

To be fair the PahaQue Tent is what I really wanted to compare to the R-Dome to. It is still good to know about all the other opinions out there. The tent seems very versatile to us and gives us the most options...and lets not forget, currently it is a lot cheaper.

It sounds like a lot of people like the versatility of the dome and some like the quality of previous PahaQue products.

Any more info about what everyone likes and dislikes about products is still appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>