R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCallling CQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Callling CQ
    Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:51pm
Ham Podders,

i have the itch to work a little HF next year when camping.  I have an Icon 706 Mk2 G for a nice compact radio, and a couple of possible tuners.  The array of antennas is endless.  What are you using?  I have had good luck Mobile with Hustler verticals.  I have also loaded a 102 inch CB whip in the past.  Stringing a wire is also possible, but not real practical if only stopping for the night.

Thanks fir your suggestions.

KB9NUM
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:01am

I use "Hamstick" dipoles:

antenna

At about $50 per band, I have been pleased with them. They are a loaded fiberglass tube, with a stainless whip (2 piece)that is inserted into the tube. Once tuned, I wrapped a piece of tape on the whip (as a marker) for quick assembly. I tuned mine for the center of the General portion of the bands. Being physically short, a tuner is needed, when moving very away from the lowest SWR frequency.

I need to devise a better mast. I have been using a 12' painter's pole that is inserted into about a 8'-9' piece of 1 1/4" conduit.

Everything fits easily into the camper's storage compartment (except the conduit) and it goes together quickly. While I have some wire dipoles, they are problematic. There is usually not enough room (in organized campgrounds/sites) to put them up.

I used them when activating the Great Smoky Mts. National Park, during the NPOTA (National Parks on the Air) event of 2016. I operated about 4-6 hours over 4 days and worked 46 States and some DX. I also use them for the Indiana QSO Party, in May and just fooling around - like the 13 Colonies event, during the 4th of July week.

If you look at my QRZ page(portable):

WA9DU/P

you'll see my NPOTA activation. The antenna(s) are hard to see in the photograph.

If just stopping for a short while, I have been known to just run a length of coax to the Yaesu ATAS (motorized screwdriver antenna)mounted on the truck. However, it doesn't work as well as the sticks.

David WA9DU

PS-   I use a Yaesu FT-857D with a LDG autotuner

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:07am
Thanks David.  I have been out of the hobby for a few years.  Retirement has me back at it and I am having fun.  I forgot about hamsticks.  I think 75 and 40 meters to start.

The tuner I was thinking of using is an LDG autotuner.   My main HF rig is a Ten Tec Jupiter, but the plan is to trade that in on a Yaesu FTDX3000D while the rebate is available.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:02pm

I bought a FTDX3000D in January of 2015 and have been very pleased with it(my main rig). At that time, they were $2300, with a $100 rebate. At today's prices, they are a very good value, IMHO.

I have 20m and 40m hamstick dipoles and have been considering purchasing 75 meters.

Welcome back to the hobby! For the past few months, I've been working a lot of the new digital mode - FT8. It has been fun in that everybody has been "a new one" again.

What I did on my camper - I ran coax from my dinette area, under the seat and through the floor, along the frame and up thru the spare tire carrier - with about a foot or so of "pig-tail".   I put a rubber cap on the PL-259 and tuck it in under the tire cover, when not in use. When it is in use, I still tuck the connection under the tire cover to keep the rain and dew off of it.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by David

I bought a FTDX3000D in January of 2015 and have been very pleased with it(my main rig). At that time, they were $2300, with a $100 rebate. At today's prices, they are a very good value, IMHO.

I have 20m and 40m hamstick dipoles and have been considering purchasing 75 meters.

Welcome back to the hobby! For the past few months, I've been working a lot of the new digital mode - FT8. It has been fun in that everybody has been "a new one" again.

What I did on my camper - I ran coax from my dinette area, under the seat and through the floor, along the frame and up thru the spare tire carrier - with about a foot or so of "pig-tail".   I put a rubber cap on the PL-259 and tuck it in under the tire cover, when not in use. When it is in use, I still tuck the connection under the tire cover to keep the rain and dew off of it.

I considered having the antenna behind the gas tank, but I think with the operating station at the dinette your location is better.  A little distance from the RF.

Thanks for the good comments about the 3000.  I was amazed by the specs.  I look forward to getting one in my station.

I started with a Yaesu 757GX
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:24pm
I Have my Kenwood TH-F6A HT for VHF/UHF.  For HF, I have a Elecraft KX1 80/40/30/20 QRP radio with internal tuner.  A coax under the dinette and outside to the back of our 180 gives access to the antenna.  I have a 40' telescoping fiberglass mask that gets bungeed to the upright of our attached bicycle carrier.  A 28' wire up the mast attached to the center conductor of the coax (which has a coil of 5 turns at 6" for a balun) and ground radials of 1/4 wavelength for each of the four bands are attached to the ground of the coax and laid under the camper.  The 80 and 40 radials have coils to keep the length under the camper.  So we can have HF fun within the confines of our campsite!   I hope to do a good bit of QRP work this summer.

73,  Don Kb3drw
Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Donnie

I Have my Kenwood TH-F6A HT for VHF/UHF.  For HF, I have a Elecraft KX1 80/40/30/20 QRP radio with internal tuner.  A coax under the dinette and outside to the back of our 180 gives access to the antenna.  I have a 40' telescoping fiberglass mask that gets bungeed to the upright of our attached bicycle carrier.  A 28' wire up the mast attached to the center conductor of the coax (which has a coil of 5 turns at 6" for a balun) and ground radials of 1/4 wavelength for each of the four bands are attached to the ground of the coax and laid under the camper.  The 80 and 40 radials have coils to keep the length under the camper.  So we can have HF fun within the confines of our campsite!   I hope to do a good bit of QRP work this summer.

73,  Don Kb3drw

One of my elmers worked QRP powered with a solar panel.  He had fun with that.  And I worked a pedestrian mobil on a qrp rig in San Francisco while I was in Wisconsin.  QRP is fun.

Thanks,
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply